Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

University addon pauses

Tags:
  • Sims
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:26:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Okay, I installed university so I would get the extra little things. I
messed about in one of the universities but had no idea what I was
doing but noticed that when I was in my little room the other sims
went in their room and a symbol (screen and keyboard, I think but I
can never work it out) appeared on their doors. Moving the angle on
camera eventually showed them all just standing in the middle of their
rooms.
Then I went back to the proper game so I could finally start equipping
my sims with mobile phones etc and the first thing I found was, apart
from some characteristics of the new game and objects added, there was
a girl standing beside one of the windows of the first house I went
to. I couldn't recall her but I have a few families on the go. Anyway,
she didn't move. She stood around as if waiting for someone to welcome
her but when I tried to click on her it wouldn't let me. I finally got
her to move by getting one sim to introduce her to the other but I
still couldn't click on her nor talk to her or anything and she
couldn't see my sims. I did the introduce thing a couple of times but
she just strolled around and then she said she had to go and off she
went.
Then, when my maid came I found him sort of staring into the distance
a few times. Then my sims point blank refused to do some things, like
I would click on stuff for them to pick up and they would just walk by
it, the symbol for the action disappearing after a split second.. I
finally removed a kids drawing from the wall as it seemed it might be
affecting people, but I don't know if that's right

And then there are these pauses, everyone in the house seems to pause
every so often, for a few seconds, but the game isn't frozen. They
just all stand there.

Are any of these glitches or are they part of having university
installed or even of having particular objects in the house?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

More about : university addon pauses

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:15:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Well, the first thing you describe (the non-player sims going into their
rooms and just standing there) is what's supposed to happen. If you go into
build mode, you can see them standing there like lemons. When there is
no-one in the room, you get a stop sign on the door (means it's locked) and
your sim can't get in. When the NPC sim is in the room, your sim can go and
visit and I'm guessing the sign you are describing is the one that means the
room is occupied or the occupant is busy.

As for the rest, that sounds like it might be a corruption issue and my
first question in these circumstances is, do you have any hacks in your
game? You might not think so, or that any hacks you do (know you) have
would affect your sims after installation of the EP went well, but ... well,
you'd be surprised. And hacks can sneak into your game via downloaded lots
so unless you're micro-managing your Downloads folder, you might well have
hacks in there you don't know about.

On the other hand, it might be a memory issue. Did you notice whether time
moves forward for the sims during the pauses or does the clock stand still
too? Also, was the sim you first noticed standing at the window a visitor
or resident of that lot?

Best wishes
Maxon

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:428AEE00.F6FF81CE@blueyonder.co.uk...
> Okay, I installed university so I would get the extra little things. I
> messed about in one of the universities but had no idea what I was
> doing but noticed that when I was in my little room the other sims
> went in their room and a symbol (screen and keyboard, I think but I
> can never work it out) appeared on their doors. Moving the angle on
> camera eventually showed them all just standing in the middle of their
> rooms.
> Then I went back to the proper game so I could finally start equipping
> my sims with mobile phones etc and the first thing I found was, apart
> from some characteristics of the new game and objects added, there was
> a girl standing beside one of the windows of the first house I went
> to. I couldn't recall her but I have a few families on the go. Anyway,
> she didn't move. She stood around as if waiting for someone to welcome
> her but when I tried to click on her it wouldn't let me. I finally got
> her to move by getting one sim to introduce her to the other but I
> still couldn't click on her nor talk to her or anything and she
> couldn't see my sims. I did the introduce thing a couple of times but
> she just strolled around and then she said she had to go and off she
> went.
> Then, when my maid came I found him sort of staring into the distance
> a few times. Then my sims point blank refused to do some things, like
> I would click on stuff for them to pick up and they would just walk by
> it, the symbol for the action disappearing after a split second.. I
> finally removed a kids drawing from the wall as it seemed it might be
> affecting people, but I don't know if that's right
>
> And then there are these pauses, everyone in the house seems to pause
> every so often, for a few seconds, but the game isn't frozen. They
> just all stand there.
>
> Are any of these glitches or are they part of having university
> installed or even of having particular objects in the house?
>
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:
>
> Well, the first thing you describe (the non-player sims going into their
> rooms and just standing there) is what's supposed to happen. If you go into
> build mode, you can see them standing there like lemons. When there is
> no-one in the room, you get a stop sign on the door (means it's locked) and
> your sim can't get in. When the NPC sim is in the room, your sim can go and
> visit and I'm guessing the sign you are describing is the one that means the
> room is occupied or the occupant is busy.
>
I thought it was just bad computing, they're supposed to be studying
but the game just has them standing there like idiots

> As for the rest, that sounds like it might be a corruption issue and my
> first question in these circumstances is, do you have any hacks in your
> game? You might not think so, or that any hacks you do (know you) have
> would affect your sims after installation of the EP went well, but ... well,
> you'd be surprised. And hacks can sneak into your game via downloaded lots
> so unless you're micro-managing your Downloads folder, you might well have
> hacks in there you don't know about.
>
I have no hacks at all. I have only recently started playing it and
apart from the cash cheat I play it pretty pure. It's only since
isntalling the university addon that the problem has started though.

> On the other hand, it might be a memory issue. Did you notice whether time
> moves forward for the sims during the pauses or does the clock stand still
> too? Also, was the sim you first noticed standing at the window a visitor
> or resident of that lot?
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
Good question, I'll have to check. I just bumped my memory up to 512
after it proved very hard to play with 256. It was a great leap but
since installing university yesterday these problems have appeared

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

>> On the other hand, it might be a memory issue. Did you notice
>> whether time moves forward for the sims during the pauses or does
>> the clock stand still too? Also, was the sim you first noticed
>> standing at the window a visitor or resident of that lot?
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Maxon
>>
> Good question, I'll have to check. I just bumped my memory up to 512
> after it proved very hard to play with 256. It was a great leap but
> since installing university yesterday these problems have appeared

University lots have a lot happening on them at one time, though, and they
seem to use a lot of memory. The larger dorms are worse than the smaller
ones. I made the mistake of having 7 controllable sims in a dorm that had
16 rooms. With the cafeteria worker and that damned cheerleader who just
shows up to irritate people, and a couple of mascots prancing around, plus
the people strolling by on the sidewalk, it was common to have over 20 sims
on that lot at one time. Big memory hog.

It's easier to get them through college when you have a bunch to control at
one place, and if you put some workout equipment and musical instruments on
the lot, too, you never have to leave the lot to get things done, but it
sure slows down the game.

Jeanie
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:54:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Jeanie wrote:
>
> >> On the other hand, it might be a memory issue. Did you notice
> >> whether time moves forward for the sims during the pauses or does
> >> the clock stand still too? Also, was the sim you first noticed
> >> standing at the window a visitor or resident of that lot?
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >> Maxon
> >>
> > Good question, I'll have to check. I just bumped my memory up to 512
> > after it proved very hard to play with 256. It was a great leap but
> > since installing university yesterday these problems have appeared
>
> University lots have a lot happening on them at one time, though, and they
> seem to use a lot of memory. The larger dorms are worse than the smaller
> ones. I made the mistake of having 7 controllable sims in a dorm that had
> 16 rooms. With the cafeteria worker and that damned cheerleader who just
> shows up to irritate people, and a couple of mascots prancing around, plus
> the people strolling by on the sidewalk, it was common to have over 20 sims
> on that lot at one time. Big memory hog.
>
> It's easier to get them through college when you have a bunch to control at
> one place, and if you put some workout equipment and musical instruments on
> the lot, too, you never have to leave the lot to get things done, but it
> sure slows down the game.
>
> Jeanie

thanks, I'll keep that in mind, but my son is right, I hate young
people :o )

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:35:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:428B2EF0.C6AFFF25@blueyonder.co.uk...
> Maxon wrote:
> >
> > Well, the first thing you describe (the non-player sims going into their
> > rooms and just standing there) is what's supposed to happen. If you go
into
> > build mode, you can see them standing there like lemons. When there is
> > no-one in the room, you get a stop sign on the door (means it's locked)
and
> > your sim can't get in. When the NPC sim is in the room, your sim can go
and
> > visit and I'm guessing the sign you are describing is the one that means
the
> > room is occupied or the occupant is busy.
> >
> I thought it was just bad computing, they're supposed to be studying
> but the game just has them standing there like idiots

Well, they did that to save on memory - the game is a major memory hog.

> > As for the rest, that sounds like it might be a corruption issue and my
> > first question in these circumstances is, do you have any hacks in your
> > game? You might not think so, or that any hacks you do (know you) have
> > would affect your sims after installation of the EP went well, but ...
well,
> > you'd be surprised. And hacks can sneak into your game via downloaded
lots
> > so unless you're micro-managing your Downloads folder, you might well
have
> > hacks in there you don't know about.
> >
> I have no hacks at all. I have only recently started playing it and
> apart from the cash cheat I play it pretty pure. It's only since
> isntalling the university addon that the problem has started though.
>
> > On the other hand, it might be a memory issue. Did you notice whether
time
> > moves forward for the sims during the pauses or does the clock stand
still
> > too? Also, was the sim you first noticed standing at the window a
visitor
> > or resident of that lot?
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >
> Good question, I'll have to check. I just bumped my memory up to 512
> after it proved very hard to play with 256. It was a great leap but
> since installing university yesterday these problems have appeared

Ah - that sounds like it, 256MB is not really enough (despite what it says
on the box) - also what's your video card memory? I have 1 gig of memory
and 256MB video card memory and I still get occasional lags. They (Maxis)
said that University would run with the same specs as the original game but
they were lying - University makes greater demands on your computer. They
actually revised the required specs after the release.

Incidentally, if you've downloaded any lots, I shouldn't be so confident you
have no hacks. When the game was first released there was a big hoo-haa
about how the packaging of lots works - basically you get all sorts of extra
stuff put in the package, including hacks and stuff not used on the lot
you're packaging. It's a bit of a nightmare, frankly. There's a user made
programme called Clean Installer that allows you to do two things: 1. remove
any extra materials you don't want from a packaged lot or sim you've
downloaded and 2. scan your Downloads folder and diagnose certain problems
with it (like whether you have two copies of the same object or skin or
whether you have a hack in there). You can get it at Mod the Sims 2 and you
can also read about the problems the packaging system causes there.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:

> > I thought it was just bad computing, they're supposed to be studying
> > but the game just has them standing there like idiots
>
> Well, they did that to save on memory - the game is a major memory hog.
>
Yeah, I noticed. The old sims was never this bad

> > Good question, I'll have to check. I just bumped my memory up to 512
> > after it proved very hard to play with 256. It was a great leap but
> > since installing university yesterday these problems have appeared
>
> Ah - that sounds like it, 256MB is not really enough (despite what it says
> on the box) - also what's your video card memory? I have 1 gig of memory
> and 256MB video card memory and I still get occasional lags. They (Maxis)
> said that University would run with the same specs as the original game but
> they were lying - University makes greater demands on your computer. They
> actually revised the required specs after the release.
>

I think it's a 64mb card, but it's not very good, an old 400mx?
geforce2. I accepted it as a gift after a small ATI card I had ran
like lightning but crashed on everything. This card has trouble even
playing NFSU, which the smaller ATI played very well apart from the
crashes


> Incidentally, if you've downloaded any lots, I shouldn't be so confident you
> have no hacks.

sorry, I meant I have downloaded nothing. i used to download on sims
itself and was always running into problems, glitches and crashes etc

When the game was first released there was a big hoo-haa
> about how the packaging of lots works - basically you get all sorts of extra
> stuff put in the package, including hacks and stuff not used on the lot
> you're packaging. It's a bit of a nightmare, frankly. There's a user made
> programme called Clean Installer that allows you to do two things: 1. remove
> any extra materials you don't want from a packaged lot or sim you've
> downloaded and 2. scan your Downloads folder and diagnose certain problems
> with it (like whether you have two copies of the same object or skin or
> whether you have a hack in there). You can get it at Mod the Sims 2 and you
> can also read about the problems the packaging system causes there.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

Thanks. I really do not feel comfortable trying to install stuff on
this game. I had sims maid or whatever it was called for the first
game and as I said ran into problems. This one I just don't seem to
know even where t start looking for good downloads, specially free
ones! :o )

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:49:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

> Thanks. I really do not feel comfortable trying to install stuff on
> this game. I had sims maid or whatever it was called for the first
> game and as I said ran into problems. This one I just don't seem to
> know even where t start looking for good downloads, specially free
> ones! :o )

The two sites where I've downloaded most of my stuff are The Sims Resource
and Mod the Sims 2. There are other sites with some nice things, too, but
those are the two I haunt most faithfully.

You don't need Sim FileMaid for this game. Just extract everything to your
My Documents/EA Games/Sims2/Downloads folder. You can use subfolders if you
want, for objects, hacks, recolors, walls, floors, etc. but the clothing has
to go in there loose, so to speak.

Not all the objects show up in my game, though. I have CEP installed and am
using only things newly downloaded since I installed University, and I'm
always sure to only download stuff that says it is updated for the EP, but
some of it still shows up blue. I just delete it from within the game and
say to heck with it. <g>

Jeanie
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:48:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Jeanie wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I really do not feel comfortable trying to install stuff on
> > this game. I had sims maid or whatever it was called for the first
> > game and as I said ran into problems. This one I just don't seem to
> > know even where t start looking for good downloads, specially free
> > ones! :o )
>
> The two sites where I've downloaded most of my stuff are The Sims Resource
> and Mod the Sims 2. There are other sites with some nice things, too, but
> those are the two I haunt most faithfully.
>
> You don't need Sim FileMaid for this game. Just extract everything to your
> My Documents/EA Games/Sims2/Downloads folder. You can use subfolders if you
> want, for objects, hacks, recolors, walls, floors, etc. but the clothing has
> to go in there loose, so to speak.
>
> Not all the objects show up in my game, though. I have CEP installed and am
> using only things newly downloaded since I installed University, and I'm
> always sure to only download stuff that says it is updated for the EP, but
> some of it still shows up blue. I just delete it from within the game and
> say to heck with it. <g>
>
> Jeanie

Thanks jeanie, I really do think the clothing is limited, and some of
the goods, hifi equipment for instance. Generally I'm quite happy
since installing university

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

The thing to look out (and avoid) for are those Sims2Pack self-installer
files - they install all sorts of stuff into your game without you being
able to tell what it is (unless you use Clean Installer). If you only
download package files, you will be putting stuff into your game (Downloads
folder) just stuff you know about. Personally, I have a system of checking
everything works - I take out everything in the Downloads folder, put in the
new stuff and run either Bodyshop (for skins), Homecrafter (for walls,
floors and terrains) or the game (objects) to check everything is working
properly. I suppose I'm a bit anal that way but I do know more or less what
everything is - and, as it's still relatively early days with the game,
people are still making a lot of mistakes with games files. I'm still
finding stuff that doesn't work properly. There is a Sim File Maid for Sims
2 (you get it from the same place as you got the last one). I never liked
it but then that's a personal preference. Some things are easier with the
new game - you can delete stuff from inside the game (in fact, it's better
to do it that way) and it's easier to make custom content, OTOH the file
management is a nightmare- e.g., those self-installer files put content into
your game and give the files long stupid names composed of letters and
numbers only so you have no idea what they are (unless you use Clean
Installer again - the person who made that programme should be given a
lollipop). Anyway, don't be afraid to download, there's some really nice
stuff out there. If you're careful about it, you shouldn't have any
problems

Best wishes
Maxon

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:428C52EE.B93BF6CD@blueyonder.co.uk...
> Jeanie wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks. I really do not feel comfortable trying to install stuff on
> > > this game. I had sims maid or whatever it was called for the first
> > > game and as I said ran into problems. This one I just don't seem to
> > > know even where t start looking for good downloads, specially free
> > > ones! :o )
> >
> > The two sites where I've downloaded most of my stuff are The Sims
Resource
> > and Mod the Sims 2. There are other sites with some nice things, too,
but
> > those are the two I haunt most faithfully.
> >
> > You don't need Sim FileMaid for this game. Just extract everything to
your
> > My Documents/EA Games/Sims2/Downloads folder. You can use subfolders if
you
> > want, for objects, hacks, recolors, walls, floors, etc. but the clothing
has
> > to go in there loose, so to speak.
> >
> > Not all the objects show up in my game, though. I have CEP installed
and am
> > using only things newly downloaded since I installed University, and I'm
> > always sure to only download stuff that says it is updated for the EP,
but
> > some of it still shows up blue. I just delete it from within the game
and
> > say to heck with it. <g>
> >
> > Jeanie
>
> Thanks jeanie, I really do think the clothing is limited, and some of
> the goods, hifi equipment for instance. Generally I'm quite happy
> since installing university
>
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:11:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:
>
> The thing to look out (and avoid) for are those Sims2Pack self-installer
> files - they install all sorts of stuff into your game without you being
> able to tell what it is (unless you use Clean Installer). If you only
> download package files, you will be putting stuff into your game (Downloads
> folder) just stuff you know about. Personally, I have a system of checking
> everything works - I take out everything in the Downloads folder, put in the
> new stuff and run either Bodyshop (for skins), Homecrafter (for walls,
> floors and terrains) or the game (objects) to check everything is working
> properly. I suppose I'm a bit anal that way but I do know more or less what
> everything is - and, as it's still relatively early days with the game,
> people are still making a lot of mistakes with games files. I'm still
> finding stuff that doesn't work properly. There is a Sim File Maid for Sims
> 2 (you get it from the same place as you got the last one). I never liked
> it but then that's a personal preference. Some things are easier with the
> new game - you can delete stuff from inside the game (in fact, it's better
> to do it that way) and it's easier to make custom content, OTOH the file
> management is a nightmare- e.g., those self-installer files put content into
> your game and give the files long stupid names composed of letters and
> numbers only so you have no idea what they are (unless you use Clean
> Installer again - the person who made that programme should be given a
> lollipop). Anyway, don't be afraid to download, there's some really nice
> stuff out there. If you're careful about it, you shouldn't have any
> problems
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

Thanks so much for the information. I'll probably take the plunge over
the weekend (gulp)
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
!