Activation Reset Issue

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings,

I am attempting to roll out 50 Compaq Evo PCs with PowerQuest/Symantec
Deploy center. Problem is that Deploy Center by default has the "activation
reset" checked in Sysprepb and I have popped the 3 reset limit on the system
we have used to develop our image.

We have only 10 days left to activation and have found that if this image is
restored 20 days from now you will not be able to login until activation is
complete and this will be a problem for us. Our only choice at this point
is to start all over with a new image system and not run sysprep until we
are totally done with the system. This will cost us a TON of time.

My question is: Does anyone know a way around this issue? Will Microsoft
help a customer out with this problem with a call and a license number by
allowing another reset?

Thanks!

Bob

P.S. - if replying via email remove the nospam

Cs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:47:48 -0400, "Bob Romig"
<bromig@nospam.fast.net> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I am attempting to roll out 50 Compaq Evo PCs with PowerQuest/Symantec
>Deploy center. Problem is that Deploy Center by default has the "activation
>reset" checked in Sysprepb and I have popped the 3 reset limit on the system
>we have used to develop our image.
>
>We have only 10 days left to activation and have found that if this image is
>restored 20 days from now you will not be able to login until activation is
>complete and this will be a problem for us. Our only choice at this point
>is to start all over with a new image system and not run sysprep until we
>are totally done with the system. This will cost us a TON of time.
>
>My question is: Does anyone know a way around this issue? Will Microsoft
>help a customer out with this problem with a call and a license number by
>allowing another reset?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Bob
>
>P.S. - if replying via email remove the nospam

Solution: Don't purchase products that require activation. I would
suggest your company avoid anything Symantec from here on.

Also, what has Microsoft have to do with Symantec products? In order
to get another reset it seems to me you're going to have to deal with
Symantec.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

And here is another proprietary OEM question on a Microsoft
newsgroup. It is hard to tell how and what was crippled by
Compaq.

"Bob Romig" <bromig@nospam.fast.net> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I am attempting to roll out 50 Compaq Evo PCs with
PowerQuest/Symantec
> Deploy center. Problem is that Deploy Center by default has the
"activation
> reset" checked in Sysprepb and I have popped the 3 reset limit on
the system
> we have used to develop our image.
>
> We have only 10 days left to activation and have found that if this
image is
> restored 20 days from now you will not be able to login until
activation is
> complete and this will be a problem for us. Our only choice at this
point
> is to start all over with a new image system and not run sysprep
until we
> are totally done with the system. This will cost us a TON of time.
>
> My question is: Does anyone know a way around this issue? Will
Microsoft
> help a customer out with this problem with a call and a license
number by
> allowing another reset?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob
>
> P.S. - if replying via email remove the nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well gee Frank... thanks for the useful reply.

If you would have taken the time to read my post it would become rather
clear that this is not a Compaq issue nor is it a Deploy Center issue. My
choice to add the names of the hardware and software vendors was simply to
add information to the case not to incite finger pointing or to provide
fodder for trolls.

The point is that I have exceeded the Microsoft imposed 3 reset limit for
the activation counter and I am looking for assistance in finding a
workaround for the problem that doesn't involve starting over.

Thanks in advance to all that might attempt to lend a hand...

Bob

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
> And here is another proprietary OEM question on a Microsoft
> newsgroup. It is hard to tell how and what was crippled by
> Compaq.
>
> "Bob Romig" <bromig@nospam.fast.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am attempting to roll out 50 Compaq Evo PCs with
> PowerQuest/Symantec
> > Deploy center. Problem is that Deploy Center by default has the
> "activation
> > reset" checked in Sysprepb and I have popped the 3 reset limit on
> the system
> > we have used to develop our image.
> >
> > We have only 10 days left to activation and have found that if this
> image is
> > restored 20 days from now you will not be able to login until
> activation is
> > complete and this will be a problem for us. Our only choice at this
> point
> > is to start all over with a new image system and not run sysprep
> until we
> > are totally done with the system. This will cost us a TON of time.
> >
> > My question is: Does anyone know a way around this issue? Will
> Microsoft
> > help a customer out with this problem with a call and a license
> number by
> > allowing another reset?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > P.S. - if replying via email remove the nospam

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Since your rolling out 50 pc's aren't you using a volume license? The volume
license requires no activation. Most businesses who have to load alot of
xp's go with the volume license so you don't have to mess with activation.
If your already stuck with what you have , then I only solution I have is to
create your image from an already activated xp. Then after you load it,
change the product key if needed. Maybe someone else has a better solution.