Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Ever Build - Please Suggest Parts for Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 7, 2009 7:14:41 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (im ready to purchase as soon as i finalize the parts list) BUDGET RANGE: (example: US$750-800)

SYSTEM USAGE: (Watching HD movies (Full blu-ray rips at 1080p res with HD bitstream audio) with no stuttering video or audio playback, playing the latest games (Fallout 3, L4D, etc.) at high / near full settings, surfing the net fast, running windows XP fast)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, monitor)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg is the one i know best, im open to any other reliable/cheaper suggestions as well)

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Intel Chipset

a graphics card that has HDMI out put to pass HD video and audio (if an HDMI port is not available within my budget than ill stick with DVI outputs),

a case big enough to fit recommended graphics card without blocking access to other parts of the board,

Not sure what is the max RAM i could put in my system on this budget - im guessing 4GB minimum

OVERCLOCKING: Yes- but not very knowledgeable in how to do it

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No I would like to stick to a single card

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (LCD monitor is 1680x1050, will connect HDMI cable from graphics card to a 1080p plasma HDTV)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: well basically i want the best PC build possible for my budget (i am willing to go over a bit if the benefits are signficant) Not really sure on things like mobos and graphics cards that best suit my preference, thats why I come to you guys. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Im looking to finally have a great PC.
June 7, 2009 3:51:34 PM

Here is a build that should provide you what you need but it is a little over your $800 budget, mainly do to the need for a BlueRay player...

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail [$109.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Retail [$119.00]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 119.00

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM [$74.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail [$46.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU :SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC edition - Retail [$219.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail [$99.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail [$79.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD: LITE-ON Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray DVD Drive & DVD Burner with LightScribe Model iHES206-08 - Retail [$89.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total Cost: $840.93 (Not Including Shipping, Taxes or MIR)
June 7, 2009 4:57:27 PM

tecmo34 said:
Here is a build that should provide you what you need but it is a little over your $800 budget, mainly do to the need for a BlueRay player...

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail [$109.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Retail [$119.00]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 119.00

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM [$74.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail [$46.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU :SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC edition - Retail [$219.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail [$99.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail [$79.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD: LITE-ON Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray DVD Drive & DVD Burner with LightScribe Model iHES206-08 - Retail [$89.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total Cost: $840.93 (Not Including Shipping, Taxes or MIR)


thanks for your list, a couple of questions: Why reccomend a triple core AMD instead of a quad core INTEL? how big of a difference would I see between the two? Also you reccomend 4GB of Ram, would i need a 64-bit version of XP in order to do that? Can you tell me more about the graphics card and why you chose that particular one? thank you
Related resources
June 7, 2009 5:15:49 PM

The triple core AMD is comparable to high end core 2 due Intel if you OC them.
Get the 4G DDR2 no matter which OS you will use because their prices are going up.
About the GPU, also consider getting two 4850 and crossfire instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you do Crossfire, get a 750W PSU.
June 7, 2009 5:36:29 PM

a good quad core intel would put you over $900, or $1000 if you went i7.

and XP64 sucks, get vista64, it has better driver support and DX10/.1/11.
June 7, 2009 8:26:24 PM

I wont reccomend parts, i will just tell whats the best (in my opinon) processor and GPU what fits into your budget.
-I recommend getting an Intel E8400, it will easily handle whatever you plan on doing. IF you want to go quad cores, then just get a i7 920.
-For a Card, a 8800GTS 512mb, will max out all your games except crysis in which case you will play on HIGH settings and not VERY HIGH. and costs around 100 dollars. However if you are going to be playing over 1680x1050, and play on your 1080p plasma then you are going to need something more beefy like a GTX260.
-Oh and Ram, 4GB will be more then enough, even for vista. UNless ofcourse you are going to be running super power hungry applications and will have many background processes.
June 7, 2009 9:58:33 PM

how would you rate the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 as compared to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz? both fit within my budget
June 7, 2009 10:44:29 PM

nyboy42 said:
how would you rate the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 as compared to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz? both fit within my budget



Obviously the Q8400 would kill. The Q6600 is also an option. Although I'm a HUGE Intel Fan-boy, for your needs, a triple-core may indeed suit you best.
June 7, 2009 11:11:31 PM

nyboy42 said:
thanks for your list, a couple of questions: Why reccomend a triple core AMD instead of a quad core INTEL? how big of a difference would I see between the two? Also you reccomend 4GB of Ram, would i need a 64-bit version of XP in order to do that? Can you tell me more about the graphics card and why you chose that particular one? thank you
I chose the AMD build over the Intel build for cost reasons. I'm with raybob95 as being a HUGE Intel Fan but I also know that price to performance ratio you can't beat AMD. I tried to build the best system for your needs within your $800 budget. If you are not doing major video editing you won't see much difference, if any, between the two.

To see all 4GB you'll need a 64-bit system but as Helloworld_98 said don't get XP-64. Get either Vista-64 or Windows 7 RC - 64-Bit. However, you don't need a 64-bit system to run 4GB. I ran XP Pro SP3 with 4GB for a while just fine. If you want XP... stick with XP 32-Bit.

I chose the graphics card for two reasons, 1.) it is a great card able to meet your needs for 1080p and will max out any game at 1680x1050 (well maybe not Crysis... but what does... :lol:  ). 2.) The board is Crossfire ready so it gives you the ability to add another one in Crossfire down the road when you have additional money.
June 7, 2009 11:27:38 PM

nyboy42 said:
how would you rate the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 as compared to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz? both fit within my budget


Well ofcourse the Q8400 would be more powerful but the question is...

-Do you need it?
-Will you use the extra power?
-Do you want to spend the extra $?
-A core 2 dou will easily handle all of your needs, so wouldn't it be fine?
-Most, and I mean almost all applications today are optimized for 1 or 2 cores anyway, very few applications and software can utilize quad cores effectivly so consider that.
June 8, 2009 12:47:55 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well ofcourse the Q8400 would be more powerful but the question is...

-Do you need it?
-Will you use the extra power?
-Do you want to spend the extra $?
-A core 2 dou will easily handle all of your needs, so wouldn't it be fine?
-Most, and I mean almost all applications today are optimized for 1 or 2 cores anyway, very few applications and software can utilize quad cores effectivly so consider that.


So you really think based on what I want for my build:

Play games in high settings in high res
Watching HD 1080p movies
Fast Windows applications and web surfing

that I should save money and go for a core 2 and not quad? If very few applications and software utilize quad cores, then why are most people upgrading to them?

Thanks
June 8, 2009 2:33:57 AM

because the majority of people watch Intel advertisments and believe it :) 
-truth be told the majority of americans are mindless brainwashed liberals who can never think "outside the box" if you know what I mean. And becuase of this Intel makes a lot of $ from it, however new processors are always going to be quad core since technically they are more powerful and stuff, its technology taking its course basically.

-And yes I think you should go with a core 2 dou to save money and spend some more on a good GPU instead which will help alot more in games and 3d applications.
!