Does 64 bit Vista or XP require 64 bit drivers for video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2009 11:38:06 PM

Hi!

I am building a budget video editing machine around:
Core 2 Duo, E8500 (3.16 GHz)
Intel DP45SG motherboard
Transcend/Kingston DDR3 RAM (1333MHz)

The idea is to use Adobe CS3 or CS4 for video editing.
Video editing gets better with plenty of RAM.
Since 32 bit Vista or XP do not support more than 3 GB RAM (concluded from tons of forums), I plan to go for a 64-bit Vista or XP.

1. I also read somewhere that some decent graphic cards from ATI-Radeon did not have 64 bit drivers.
So that makes me wonder whether video card with 32-bit drivers will work with the config. or what kind of problem I should anticipate from such a card.

2. I also would like your suggestion for a video card that not more than 8000 rupees or US $170

Would appreciate all the help that I can get.
Thanks in advance.

a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 11:51:39 PM

All video cards have 64bit drivers now a days.
June 26, 2009 12:34:49 AM

yes put simplier before you change look at all your input /out pud devices to make sure they can take 64bit, like web cams, printers, WIRELESS CARDS/ADBTORS
Related resources
June 26, 2009 9:39:18 AM

@AMG - I wouldn't ask if I knew how to make sure they can take 64-bit or not.

Also do graphic cards with 32 bit drivers work with 64 bit Vista and XP

Please readers, I need good answers, which concur in plenty with what is generally available on the internet.
June 26, 2009 10:27:33 AM

xceljack said:
@AMG - I wouldn't ask if I knew how to make sure they can take 64-bit or not.

Also do graphic cards with 32 bit drivers work with 64 bit Vista and XP

Please readers, I need good answers, which concur in plenty with what is generally available on the internet.

Yes, you will need the 64 bit drivers. This is due to you having a 64bit API on your OS, and a 64bit HAL. Devices that do not require access to the API will do just fine with 32 bit drivers, such as webcams, printers and scanners.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2009 11:30:02 AM

Welcome to the forums!

ATI defiantly does have 64bit drivers and they work just fine.
Unless you run into PEBKAC issues, you should anticipate no problems.

If you are not planning on gaming, I would recommend a 4650.
This will still allow you to take advantage of GPU acceleration in CS4 while keeping your costs and power consumption down.
If you are planning on gaming, look into a 4770, 4850 or 4870 depending on availability and local costs.

Also, you should really consider changing the E8500 for a quad core CPU.
AS CS4 is fully multi threaded, a slower quad core (which can be overclocked, btw.) will give you much better performance than a faster dual core.
!