Sign in with
Your question

laptop stuck at minimum speed only

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2009 6:56:06 PM

Having some trouble with a laptop I just picked up. I did a clean format and put on windows xp professional.

Now here is my problem. its a Pentium M 770 rated at 2.13 Ghz. (dell latitude d610) I installed cpu-z and it shows core speed at 798-802 mhz (changes every now and then) multiplier of 6

Now 800 Mhz is min speed in bios, but even at 100% load it doesn’t step up to full speed or anything higher at all, just sits at 800 mhz.. So I have 1/3rd speed and one missing processor... Any help would be fantastic.
September 9, 2009 9:20:13 PM

spoke with dell.. apparently its "working as intended" i was incorrect about teh dual core its a single (didnt know much about pentium m) but still running at 800 mhz.. they said its supposed to stay at 800 even under full load.. i think the guy doesnt know what hes doing tho.. at least hoping that my new "2.13" laptop isnt "supposed" to be slower then my old p4 at 1.5,,,,
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 9:22:12 PM

Pentium M770 is a sigle core chip - thats why you only see 1 core / 1 thread.

Rated FSB = 133mhz with a multiplier of 16 = 2128 =ghz (sold as 2.13 ghz)
I suggest first port of call is BIOS and check the multiplier setting. It could be the BIOS needs an update as usually Intel chips are mulitplier locked.

Failing that might be a heat issue that is dropping the FSB multiplier down - but usually this is only a couple of levels - but not for 16 to 6
Related resources
September 9, 2009 9:43:27 PM

i checked bios and i seem to have teh most up to date version, and no multiplier settings in biod for me to touch.. its a very limited bios compared to what i have used on desktops before.
September 24, 2011 10:00:16 PM

bvdave said:
Having some trouble with a laptop I just picked up. I did a clean format and put on windows xp professional.

Now here is my problem. its a Pentium M 770 rated at 2.13 Ghz. (dell latitude d610) I installed cpu-z and it shows core speed at 798-802 mhz (changes every now and then) multiplier of 6

Now 800 Mhz is min speed in bios, but even at 100% load it doesn’t step up to full speed or anything higher at all, just sits at 800 mhz.. So I have 1/3rd speed and one missing processor... Any help would be fantastic.

Restart the computer, go into Setup. In Setup, Load Optimal Settings F9. Save the settings F10 and restart the computer. Max cpu speed should be restored!
!