Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Opinions on PSU for i7 SLI rig

Last response: in Components
September 9, 2009 7:08:41 PM

I'm currently in the process of building a new i7 rig. It will be fairly power hungry with at least 6gb ram, two hds (one will be a raptor), an i7 around 3ghz (either oc or stock), and I would like the capability to sli 2xgtx 285 or the next round of gpu without needed to upgrade the psu later down the line, all in an antec 1200. From what I've read the best options are the PC Power & Cooling 1200, Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 and Antec Quattro 1200 (although the quattro isn't even listed on newegg). I was thinking about going with the Toughpower but there is a decent amount of bad reviews on newegg with reports of short and poor quality cables. I'm not as worried about the poor quality cables as I am with the reports of the cables being short as the antec 1200 mounts the psu at the bottom of the case. I'm positive the PC P&C would be more than adequate but it's fairly pricey. Has anyone had any experience with the Toughpower 1200 in this type of configuration (or even better in an Antec 1200) that can shed some light on the quality of the unit?

More about : opinions psu sli rig

a c 248 ) Power supply
September 9, 2009 8:14:52 PM

If the Antec Truepower Quattro 1200 is anything like the 1000 watt version, then it would probably be your best bet. I could find technical reviews for the 1000 but not for the 1200.

Eight inch long 24 pin psu/motherboard power extension cables are available for a few dollars from many online vendors. The extension cable will allow you to run the power cable behind the motherboard tray up to the top of the motherboard.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 9, 2009 8:51:42 PM

mapex said:
I'm currently in the process of building a new i7 rig. It will be fairly power hungry with at least 6gb ram, two hds (one will be a raptor), an i7 around 3ghz (either oc or stock), and I would like the capability to sli 2xgtx 285 or the next round of gpu without needed to upgrade the psu later down the line, all in an antec 1200. From what I've read the best options are the PC Power & Cooling 1200, Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 and Antec Quattro 1200 (although the quattro isn't even listed on newegg). I was thinking about going with the Toughpower but there is a decent amount of bad reviews on newegg with reports of short and poor quality cables. I'm not as worried about the poor quality cables as I am with the reports of the cables being short as the antec 1200 mounts the psu at the bottom of the case. I'm positive the PC P&C would be more than adequate but it's fairly pricey. Has anyone had any experience with the Toughpower 1200 in this type of configuration (or even better in an Antec 1200) that can shed some light on the quality of the unit?

1200W is overkill for a SLI rig. I have the same setup as you, and I'm running on Corsair HX1000W.
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2009 9:17:09 PM

+1 for Corsair.. either that or Seasonic
m
l
!