Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does OC Genie work?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2009 11:04:59 PM

I have searched the forums and have been unable to find a definite answer.

I recently bought the MSI P55-GD65 mobo and it is on the way. I would love to be able to hit a button and watch my i5 750 get to 3.4ghz or so. Yet I am nervous as in many forums some of the people I have come to respect have all said they don't trust it, even tom's hardware reviews decided against using the OC genie when OCing.

Anyone have this or a similar mobo from MSI? Does it work as advertised?

Info that may be relevant:

i5 750
Scythe Katana 3
NZXT case with 5 fans and bottom psu
MSI P55-GD65 mobo
I do not want to reach for 4ghz as I want this computer to be COMPLETELY stable, quiet and long lived.
2x2gb sticks of Crucial mem (may get more in future but atm 4gigs is plenty).

More about : genie work

November 29, 2009 7:44:04 AM

I also would like to know a for sure answer to this by someone who has used it.

I can speculate and say that I think the reason toms review decided against using it because this is a DIY type site/forum. Just hitting a button and watching everything being done for you takes the pride/fun out of it. I would prefer to just hit a button and watch it be done, I have overclocked my computers before. It isnt that it is hard but time consuming, imo.
m
l
November 29, 2009 10:48:30 AM

Well, I get my system this Monday or Tuesday. So by Wednesday I should have it running with time for my thermal grease to set. I will write as full of a review of the OC Genie as I can...which basically means I'll post some cpu-z screen shots and some temp screen shots of pre and post OC genie use. Also instructions on how to use it (which seems like it is just a button push but we shall see).
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 11:33:51 AM

While there is a certain amount of pride involved in overclocking, most of us are pragmatic enough that, if a free or inexpensive "Magic OC" program were available, we'd use it.

The main problem with these programs is that they are not good at optimization. And they rely on automatic settings a lot.
m
l
November 29, 2009 11:59:25 AM

gebbz said:
Well, I get my system this Monday or Tuesday. So by Wednesday I should have it running with time for my thermal grease to set. I will write as full of a review of the OC Genie as I can...which basically means I'll post some cpu-z screen shots and some temp screen shots of pre and post OC genie use. Also instructions on how to use it (which seems like it is just a button push but we shall see).

I look forward to your review. Can you post more specifics about your setup? I am contemplating a new i5 rig and was also looking at this mobo, not soley for the OC Genie but if it works it will just be another selling point over the P7P55D and UD3.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:54:43 PM

Sure Thing.

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX
SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) (there are better options but these are toooo sexy)
Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3"
*I just like the design of this. There are better coolers at the same price point. Such as: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212, and the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V*
Ultra LSP450 450-Watt Power Supply
**I bought this PSU before I looked around enough. With only 24A on one 12v rail it lacks the power to supply better/bigger systems but for my system it was a decent and cheap option. There are too many PSUs to post better ones here without knowing your needs. Basically look for a PSU with multiple 12v rails or at least the highest possible total Amps on the 12v rail. Actual watts isn't as important since the 3v and 5v rails usually have plenty of power for most systems. Also if you want to run SLI/crossfire you will want a PSU with 2 PCIe 75 watt 6 pin connectors.**
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive - 750GB, 7200RPM
NZXT M59-001BK M59 Gaming Mid Tower Case
****This case came with a 550watt PSU...long story short mine no longer has it and I needed to buy a seporate psu. BUT I FREAKING LOVE THIS CASE. It is the only thing I have received already and it is really beautiful and quality. Comes with 2 nice fans. 1 with Blue LEDs****
Some LG DVD/CDRW
I already have windows and 2 nice monitors.
I also bought 3 different 120mm fans Bgears b-Cool120 120mm LED Fan With Temperature Display, GELID FN-SX12-10 120mm Silent Fan and COOLER MASTER 120mm Blue LED Fan

I think that is it.

Even with questionable purchases the total is less than $800.

WARNING: This is my first build so don't count on this being the best performance/price system you can get...but I think it is good.
m
l
November 30, 2009 5:56:56 PM

Looks like I ordered too late in the day last Wednesday so they didn't ship my order until today! :(  So it is going to be a few more days than I hoped.
m
l

Best solution

November 30, 2009 7:06:19 PM

Found this review at [H]ardocp.com...

"If you are a noobie to overclocking, or have simply lost the desire to rummage through a BIOS tuning for days to get your overclock on, OC Genie fixes that very easily. On our P55-GD65, we powered down, pushed the OC Genie button, powered the board on, and in our normal POST time plus 11 seconds or so, we were at a stable Windows 7 desktop running 3.57GHz on our 2.66GHz Core i5-750 processor. MSI has the best "one button overclocking" motherboard solution currently."

Here is the actually link...
http://hardocp.com/article/2009/11/24/msi_p55gd65_lga_1156_motherboard_review/1

What I quoted is basically all they say about the OC Genie, but they say its the best board, hands down, in its price range. So thats a positive for you since you got it! :)  I guess getting ~1Ghz off pushing a button isnt to bad.
November 30, 2009 11:25:02 PM

AGREE
m
l
December 1, 2009 3:30:02 AM

It would still be good to know how well yours does with a push of a button! :) 
m
l
December 1, 2009 4:14:06 AM

I'll put up my results still. Then we will at least know if it is Idiot proof.
m
l
December 1, 2009 11:14:48 AM

Just built a system with the following basic specs

Novatech ATI Radeon HD 4890
4GB DDR3 -10700H ram
Win 7 64bit

First pc I've built, pressed the oc genie button and got a core speed of 3.570, easy and stable. MSI also have a good utility called Control center accessed through windows where you can tweak the settings (usually accessed through the bios). I've had the core up to 3.77 and stable just by upping the base clock up to 220 through this utility.

Would recommend this board to anyone daunted by overclocking.
m
l
December 1, 2009 12:54:50 PM

Prickle12 said:
Just built a system with the following basic specs

Novatech ATI Radeon HD 4890
4GB DDR3 -10700H ram
Win 7 64bit

First pc I've built, pressed the oc genie button and got a core speed of 3.570, easy and stable. MSI also have a good utility called Control center accessed through windows where you can tweak the settings (usually accessed through the bios). I've had the core up to 3.77 and stable just by upping the base clock up to 220 through this utility.

Would recommend this board to anyone daunted by overclocking.

Thanks for the additional review, it is good to hear. What exact RAM are you using in your setup?
m
l
December 1, 2009 3:52:59 PM

G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel
m
l
December 3, 2009 12:44:03 AM

AHHHH! I just got my system and everything is installed..sort of. For some reason I cannot get a display on my monitor.

I have tried the video card in a different PCI slot and nothing. I also plugged it into my other computer and it worked fine.

All my case fans work, including my heat sink fan, and I can even eject my CD rom drive.

I do not get ANY beep code errors.

All LEDs work. Power button/reset button and everything seems to work fine.

I have tried a different monitor and still nothing. Both monitors I have tried work with another computer.

I am left to believe that either my PSU is bad or my MB is bad.

Do you happen to have ANY idea what is going on?
m
l
December 3, 2009 2:34:35 AM

fixed...I will explain in a later post.
m
l
December 3, 2009 8:02:11 PM

I had a problem with my DDR3 and I had to re-seat it.

About the OC genie.

I was able to use the OC genie to up my 750 from 2.67 to about 3.34. Seems a little low but it might be because of my heat sink not cooling enough? no idea.

My temps went up about 10C on average (From about 25C idle to 35C idles)

Anyway, back to work on this beast.
m
l
December 4, 2009 11:32:55 AM

Last Post.

I am now at 3.6ghz and I am going to stop here.

OC Genie is nice but it gets to 3.34Ghz by setting the multiplier to 17 (normally 20) and raising the bus speed to about 197mhz.

I tried my own OCing (BTW MSI has MANY features that make OCing easy including a button on the MBoard to increase bus speed by 1 mhz while CPU is running)

I turned off OC genie and went into the bios and set the bus speed to 176 leaving the multiplier at 20. Then when windows was loaded I slowly raised the bus speed to 180.5 (using the +1mhz button on MBoard) to get a final Frequency of 3.6.

Final answer. OC Genie works very well to get a perfectly optimized setting...but will a little manual effort it is easy to OC past the OC genie settings.
m
l
December 8, 2009 7:10:50 AM

Good to know, thanks for the update. I will defiantly have to keep this mobo in mind when I build a new system!
m
l
August 21, 2011 4:55:20 PM

gebbz said:
fixed...I will explain in a later post.

How?

m
l
January 7, 2013 10:11:16 AM

amundbr said:
Found this review at [H]ardocp.com...

"If you are a noobie to overclocking, or have simply lost the desire to rummage through a BIOS tuning for days to get your overclock on, OC Genie fixes that very easily. On our P55-GD65, we powered down, pushed the OC Genie button, powered the board on, and in our normal POST time plus 11 seconds or so, we were at a stable Windows 7 desktop running 3.57GHz on our 2.66GHz Core i5-750 processor. MSI has the best "one button overclocking" motherboard solution currently."

Here is the actually link...
http://hardocp.com/article/2009/11/24/msi_p55gd65_lga_1156_motherboard_review/1

What I quoted is basically all they say about the OC Genie, but they say its the best board, hands down, in its price range. So thats a positive for you since you got it! :)  I guess getting ~1Ghz off pushing a button isnt to bad.

Where is this OC genie button located? Can you please elaborate on the steps involved to switch it on?
m
l
!