Slow boot, Slow XP

mindmeld_me

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Working on my wifes laptop and it's just slow as beans at times. I reinstalled windows XP about a year and a half ago, freash install, new drivers. I just ran a defrag, antivirus, spyware, driver updates, program updates a few weeks ago trying to speed it up. The boot from POST to windows is quick but once windows is up the time to boot all the startup's which most have been turned off is still long and then at times the computer will just move slow, firefox will hang/lock. Couple different annoying things that is bothering her. Laptop is roughly 3 years old now, initially bought by a friend of her's to play games on so it's not to bad spec wise. I was thinking about wiping it and doing another freash install of windows. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to try and clean it up without doing that? Thanks.

mindmeld_me

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
HP Pavilion, widescreen 17' moniter.
AMD Turion 64 Mobile, ML-34. Not sure on speed yet
512 Ram, 787 mhz
ATI 200M Radeon Xpress
XP Service Pack 3

I assume Ram is DDR. Need anything more specific on Specs? Like I said, her friend got it to be a gaming machine but realized quickly it was just not going to handle things. It's more a media rig, movies and such but it works fine XP wise.