HDD problem(bad sectors, corrupted files, etc)

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I have this HDD (Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB SATAII 7200rpm 32MB) for 3 months now.

Before 2-3 weeks suddenly my PC crash(lock up) and when I restart Windows didn't load because some important files of the system was corrupted. So i format the HDD and install the windows. Now i am facing the same/similar problem my pc sometimes lock up for a few seconds or more than a minute and come back to normal. I run chkdsk /v (disk diagnostic) and it found that i have bad sectors and corrupted files. Also a few times when windows lock up the HDD is doing some strange noise. Also 2 times when the windows lock up it didn't came back to normal and when i restart my pc the HDD was not recognized by the system not even in the bios!!!, this is the message that i got ("Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a Key"), after a few restarts/shutdowns my HDD start to work again.

i really do not know what to do.

Bad sectors indicate the HDD is failing. Disconnect the HDD, get a new HDD and load windows on the new HDD. After that connect the Samsung HDD and copy/backup as much of your data as you can from the old Samsung HDD. If the old HDD is under warranty contact Samsung for a replacement. If not, get a new HDD to use for backup.

acer0169

Distinguished
^+1 completely agree.

Bad sectors are the tell-tale sign of a failing drive, which means each day you're using that drive you're kind of on borrowed time as eventually it will fail on you. Get a new drive as treefrog suggested, reinstall your OS on the new drive and then connect your current drive as a slave so you can get your data off it.

You could use the old drive as storage, as I've used faulty drives for storage without issues (as they're not always being read and written to) but it's still a bit dicey.

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I forgot to mention that yesterday I run "chkdsk /R"(it took 2 hours :sleep:) and repair all the bad sectors and corrupted files and it worked fine for awhile with out "lock up" but after a few hours it star the same behavior. So that mean that the HDD is failing or perhaps something else is wrong?

acer0169

Distinguished
So far I've only ever had this issue from two things.. general HDD failure (over time 16 hours heavy use a day builds up lol) and PSU failure. Whatever is causing it you need to get a new one and start backing up etc because when it goes it's often total'd.

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I just bought a new HDD, install windows etc the new HDD seem fine, but until now I have got 2 random blue screens. so something else must by the problem.

Seriously I don't know what is going on.

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
It see seem that I have the same problems with the new HDD ,windows some times stop responding for a few seconds, I also get a few random blue screens, and corrupted files and now I cant even use the windows because every time I am going to open an application I get this error message “– bad image C: \Windows\system32\wow64cpu.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains and error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support”

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I have use the memtest86 and the windows tool for checking the memory and didn’t find any errors.

yes i am sure that i have corrupt files, at least what the "chkdsk /f" said.