Can you run PCI and PCIe 2.0 x16 video cards at the same time

Rlyons124

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I want to do a 6+ monitor system. I found a ASUS board that has 3 PCI and 1 PCIe 2.0 x16. Can I run 3 video cars with dual DVI on the PCI and 1 dual DVI video card on the PCIe 2.0 x16 to get a total of 8 monitors. I guess the easy question is, can you run multiple cards on different interfaces (PCI, PCIe, PCIe 2.0 x1, PCIe 2.0 x16) Thank you.

Rlyons124

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
From what I was told, I would need 4 adapters to do 6 monitors (using a video card with dual DVI output). At 80 each that gets quite expensive ($320) compared to 3 video cards at $50 each. I think thats how I would set up those adapters. I have never used them, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Yes you can run 6 monitors on 3 PCI cards, plus 2 more on the PCIe slot quite easily.

The only question becomes what you want to do with them next.

For desktop use, no problem; for video playback a bit tougher; for gaming tougher still.

For some things you may want to get a good dedicated multi-monitor application, like UltraMon, to make management easier/better.

You could also look into someone like Matrox for their expertise in multi-monitor support. Then you could do 8 monitors on 2 cards. Matrox RULZ !! :sol:

Rlyons124

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I'm using it for day trading. Programs using graphs, data sheets, Excel...... I don't think the programes are very graphic intense. If I ever wanted to play a demanding game could I put a really nice gaming card on the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and have it work with the other PCI cards. Or would I run into problems.

Rlyons124

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I would love to go with a Matrox card or a Quadro NVS but they are just so expensive. You cant beat 3 cards for under $150.

For that, no problem, either will work because all you need is windows management, you don't even need complex driver support.

However I would recommend to keep the cards to the same chip maker and of a similar generation to make life easier.

Yeah those would be fine, there's limited selection in the PCI realm and unless you want Sparkle or mail in rebates, that's one of your best combos, and GF8 & 9 are similar architecture which should keep issues to a minimum.

Rlyons124

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Thanks guys for your help. Do you have any suggestions or tips on installation or set up. I have installed cards before, but never more than one on a computer.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

Red, Green, and Blue.
I honestly have no idea what he is trying to say...

I think he's trying to say that the D-sub/DB-15/VGA is disabled and that it's a shared RAMDAC (except that the GF8400 has duals built-in on chip), however usually when that's the case it's DVI-D + D-Sub, not DVI-I like is the case here.

Double check, but there's no reason it should be disabled by default.