Sign in with
Your question

Buy now or Wait Later????

Last response: in Toms Network
November 25, 2012 8:21:19 AM

should i buy now or wait for Haswell which around the corner next year. anyone have any idea what's the hardware component for Haswell built machine going to be like?

i believe everything pretty much the same not until 2014-2015 where new generation of component release like DDR4. doesn't matter what buy now or next year but around that year 2015-2016 technology actually new like Thunderbolt became more mainstream replace USB and other interface. the jump of PC isn't like from 1 to 2 but 1.1-1.3.ect to 2...

More about : buy wait

December 10, 2012 7:12:06 PM

People have been asking the same question since the second mass-market PC came out.

If you need one, buy now. If the one you have is good enough, don't buy at all. Personally, I wait for the next big generation to come out and then buy the next-to-best of the current generation. Price drops galore, and I get almost cutting-edge performance.

I'm not waiting for Thunderbolt because I think that it will be a while before the use of the interface stabilizes, and before consumer-grade devices that actually take advantage of the speed become, by my standards, affordable. As an example of what I mean by "stabilizes," I bought a well-reviewed USB 3.0 flash drive (I forget which one; I'm not where it is). It has pretty impressive read performance on my separate USB 3.0 card, but the write performance is not impressive. And on my native 3.0 ports, or the 3.0 ports on my notebook at work, it's less than 10% faster than a USB 2.0 drive.

Yes, that can be tweaked in the registry, but even if that works it misses my definition of "stable."

So, unless you really need one of the whiz-bang new features, wait until your current machine is not doing something that you need and buy current mainstream (if that will meet your need.) Then again, I don't do benchmarks.
m
l
December 10, 2012 8:17:47 PM

If you wait long enough, it will always be cheaper. :D 
m
l
!