Dominant Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I want to trade out the E5200 that I currently have running in my machine, but since it turns out that the i7's all run on LGA1366, I'm going to need to get a new mobo anyway. With that in mind, I'm considering getting and AMD CPU instead; supposedly they're better for a budget buyer, which I definitely am.

Who's lineup is better in the $300-$400 price range (including a new mobo), intel or AMD?

Dominant Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hmm, intel definitely looks like the better option...I feel bad for AMD though, they were going strong with the Athlon X2 for so many years and then intel just steamrolled them with the Core2 and i7 :(

Thanks for the help!

Dominant Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Eh, I'm not gonna need bleeding edge tech in the next 2 years. As long as this set-up will support next year's mid-range graphics card, I'm good to go. Although, I built my current setup off techreport's guide for christmas of last year...and it's most up-to-date version is recommending using an AMD chip.

If they're still recommending an AMD setup around Christmas time, I might go down that path...there's no point in future proofing too far if I'm just gonna be swapping out parts every year or two anyway :p