Peterboru

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Would you reccomend the Synology 411j if my goals are to manage 5 ip webcams, share videos and pictures to my friends, and backup my PC. I currently have a Segate GoFlex Net using the PopgoPlug service. The 3 drawbacks to the Seagte GoFlex Net/PogoPlug combo is

There appears to be no support for IP cameras
It seems when I want to share a small video with friends it seems to take a while to transcode
Once I share it and my friends/family view it seems to slow my internet connection.

:hello:

Bluepig

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
If it's slowing down you network connection it is because there is still traffic going on after the supposed access is complete. Bring up you system resources and monitor your network activity. If you are not on the internet and you still see traffic, someone, or better yet something is piggy-backing your service.

This news and potential is disheartening to me, as I just picked up my Pogoplug streaming device today. You can bet I will be running a monitor on that port, MAC, and IP to check rogue traffic. Using a Pogo opens you up to others you might not have shared your login with. I have not read into their security options, but am hoping for a mature product based upon reviews.

Peterboru

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

How would I monitor the port...what software would you recommend..what port does pp run on