Gateway SX2800 psu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStallion

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hello all,

I was wondering if there is anyway the Gateway SX2800's power supply can be upgraded?

I just bought a Galaxy 9600GT and it didnt work, which could possibly be my fault. Regardless, I am just curious if there is any upgrades i could make to the power supply. It is currently at 220W. Also I dont plan on doing any hardcore gaming. Right now im playing Red Orchestra, but would like to be able to play Half Life 2 in general as well as Company of Heroes on higher settings so I was wondering if there are any low profile cards out there that can run those games as well as work under 220W. I dont plan on getting any other games in the future other than something like Starcraft 2 so I hope by then ill have a better video card and a better power supply.

Thanks!

The answer to your question is yes, the power supply can be upgraded. However, your 220 watt LiteOn power supply is a slimline model and the pc case is small. That limits the upgrade possibilties. You would have to use another slimline psu instead of an atx psu.

Please remove your pc side panel and see if there is a model number or a part number on the psu label. Having the model number will speed things up.

applejak_2000

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I have a feeling that the Flex ATX-270LE (270W Flex ATX) PS will work as the dimensions are:
150L x 81.5W x 40.5H mm

Flex ATX-220SI (220W Flex ATX12V) is:
150Lx82Wx62.7H mm

IMHO the limiting dimensions for a few PS boxes I looked at is the width of 82mm (there just aint any more room width-wise!). Then there is the height because the stock 220W PS only has about a 1/4 of inch of space between it and the motherboard/fan assy/heatsink.

Even so, you still have to figure out:
1) the mounting screw locations
2) the configuration of the plugs coming out of the upgrade PS

I'm still looking into this.

applejak_2000

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I'm no expert:
It looks to me as though for the Radeon 4650 you need around 25W more out of the PS than for the 4550. THe 4550 has been known to work by a couple of posters with the 220W PS. Now there has been some debate as to the 9600GT working in this situation - from what I can see the 9600GT is about the same or draws a bit more current than the Radeon 4650. I think they both work if you upgrade to a 270W PS which is about the minimum you can get away with. IMHO anyway

Go to this site:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Enter in the data for various cards you're interested in- the instructions are fairly self explanatory.

IMPORTANT: One thing everyone needs to consider is clearance of the video card fan and the fact that the card is VERY NEAR the top inside of the case - I mean like a 1/4" ~ 1/2" away (you have to take into account the overall thickness of the card+fan/heatsink!). Therefore the heat does not have a way of escaping (poor ventilation, at best). BUT what I've been thinking: There is a "tray" (depression or well) on top of the case where you can set iPods, cell phones etc. I've have thought that since I'm not going to use the "tray" anyway, I can provide a cutout with mesh over it that vents this very same heat. What's good about this idea is that the opening would be directly over the fan on the video card. For ventilation, it doesn't get any better than that. And if I put in a fanless card I'll just put in a 40mm 5 volt auxillary fan under the cutout in the top just to exhaust any excess heat. I'm going to do it just for safety's sake. It doesn't hurt anything. I just have to convince my wife. But when she finds out what an advantage she'll have in Photoshop CS4 or 3DSmax with any of these video cards she won't mind letting me cut out a section of the top! (it's hers, actually)

TheStallion

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
So does anyone know which card I should get? I have a Gateway SX2800 with a 220W power supply. I'm looking into the Radeion 4550 or the Radeon 4650. Ill take whatever one is better and runs with my current power supply. Im not looking into hardcore gaming...The newest games I plan to run are Company of Heroes and Half-Life 2 for a while.

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Im also curious about this i have been doing some reasearch and have gotten mixed results some say hd 4650 can run but some say it runs too hot. is 4550 safe? if so will it be able to run something like star craft 2? has anybody found a psu that we can use? thank you very much in advance

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the reply Johnny. If i do decide to go for just a video card upgrade will the 220w psu have trouble with the HD4650? How about the 4550?

Has anyone with an sx2800 installed the above psu? I just wanted to be sure it will fit before i order it. Thank you very much

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Did you install a new psu or are you running it on the 220w? Hows the heat of the 4650? have you tried running it for an extended period? Thank you very much mate

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I received the card yesterday and I installed it works great. Im just wondering why i cant get the desktop to fully cover my screen (im using an 19 inch tv as monitor) with the integrated chip i was able to do so. also movies i play on vlc player is much smaller and cant fill the screen (black lines on top and bottom) i tried different resolution settings on atv ccc. thanks

Jtvair

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I have a Gateway SX2800-1 in which I installed a RADEON 4650 Video Card to an ASUS VH236H monitor. I did not, upgrade the the power supply or drill an extra vent in the case and so far it works great.
What I want to do is run my desk top on my two monitors. I know VISTA has this option. It seems that when I install the Video Card the Intel GMA X4500 Integrated video is turned off. I can turn it back on in the BIOS Setup where I have a choice of Auto, PCI, Int Video by selecting Int Video, but then I have no RADEON Video Card output. Does anyone know or have a suggestion of how to make this work?

dawards

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

how does the card fit? is there room behind the card for a longer card? like this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001T26QMY/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

thanks

theomms

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Can you run both monitors off of the 4650? one DVI and the second using a HDMI to DVI adapter.

Spectre6

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I've had the sx2800-01 for about 4 months running with the ati hd4350, 220w power supply, and no drilled holes, etc. I was able to play games like Republic Commando and Battlefront II for about an hour then they would start to lag. I think I managed to finally fry the graphics card yesterday. Does anyone know if the power supply could have been the issue or was it pure overheating?

Has anyone managed to find a good gpu that will work in this computer for an extended amount of time (more than four months, obviously)? And did you need to upgrade the psu, modify or buy a new case, or make any other changes?

ANTS037.GIF

could this fit

http://www.provantage.com/antec-mt-350~7ANTS037.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.