Evga 780i + E8500 E0, RATE MY OverCLOCK! 24/7 voltage!

spitfire6000

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hey everybody, first post on this forum. Been doing overclocking for a few years on video cards, and lately I moved onto cpu + mobos.

Heres my setup:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1801178

I need some advice for those who have experience with any of these cards or those similar to them. My GOAL is squeeze as much juice out of this card as possible without sacrificing the longevity. I want to keep this rig around for at least another 2-3 years.

I just last week replaced a EVGA gts 250 1gig with this EVGA superclocked GTX 560, and now I just need to ramp up the cpu to add to the new graphics capability.

My main focus is PC gaming, all the latest games, especially cutting edge graphics candidates.

--------------------------------------------->
--------------------------------------------->

I had done extensive research on OCing this cpu and heres what I did:
(Breaking it up into simple steps for anyone else reading along who could benefit from the hours I put in researching this topic so far )

I leave a few settings here and there on AUTO, but for the most part as I have learned, AUTO setting is a huge bad bad no no.

-Press delete to enter BIOS

-Advanced chipset features

-Sys Clocks
-Cpu Multi = 9.5x w/ n2 enabled
-PCIe x16_3 = 100mhz
-SPP-MCP REF CLOCK = 200mhz
-HT MULTI = 5x on both
-SPREAD SPECTRUM = All disabled

-FSB & MEMORY
-FSB-MEM clock = linked + sync <===== This gives me 1600 fsb and 800mhz on my memory, in which 800 is the stock speed. 1:1 ratio here.

-Memory timings =
6 - 6 - 6 - 18 - T2
Should I leave these timings as they are?

-Advanced memory timings = All Auto, not sure what to do here.

-CPU CONFIG
-LIMIT CPUID MAX VAL = DISABLED
-INTEL SPEED STEP = AUTO
-PPM MODE = NATIVE
-CPU THERMAL = DISABLED
-C1E EHS = DISABLED
-EXECUTE DIS BIT = ENABLED
-VIRT TECH = DISABLED

-SYS VOLTAGES
-CPU CORE = (1.2 stock in bios) 1.22500 GREY in BIOS, and 1.192 in CPU-z
-CPU FSB = (1.1 stock) 1.2 GREEN
-MEMORY = (1.850 stock) I left it at 1.850 GRAY, since I figured I am not OCing the memory whatsoever, why increase it's voltage?
Should I be downvolting or downclocking the memory? I read somewhere that this can increase performance overall, but I am not fully getting the concept.
-SPP = (1.30 stock) 1.35 GRAY
-MCP = (1.500 stock) 1.525 GREEN
-HT = (1.20 stock) 1.25 GREEN

-SYS BIOS CACHEABLE: DISABLED
-HPET FUNCTION: ENABLED

Actual values were:
1 : 1
400.5 Bus speed / DRAM Frequency

I kicked it up a couple mhz to make sure CPUz would read it as passing 3800 clock speed.

Most guides and forum threads say to START in the green and work your way down when it comes to voltage, but how does this help?

I tried to increase my voltages as little as possible because after all voltage is what hurts our PC parts in the first place. Changing clock speeds and FSB doesn't do anything to hurt the components, its the extra voltage that gets most people in trouble.

I have been running Prime 95 x64 for about 7 hours. resulting in the following:
Idle temp = 39/40 C
100% load = 53/54 C
NO ERRORS

So what should I do here? I want advice of any and all kind.

My first attempt at Ocing this card on this setup was same settings as above, except:
FSB = 1500mhz
Memory = unlinked 800mhz
Voltage = NONE!

Ran prime 95 for 3 hours, temps never went above low 50s, and no errors.

Should I push the cpu to 4.0ghz?

Should I leave the cpu at 3.8ghz but lower the voltage back to stock? Notice how on my 3.8 clock, my voltages are mostly in the grey zone, almost all of them being just 1 step higher than stock value (except for cpu core).

I am hungry for knowledge and the satisfaction of a highly overclocked cpu with strong longevity. FEED ME!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

That was me yesterday:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/1006562-evga-780i-c2duo-e8500-why-am.html

Please excuse the dual screen screenshots, been sitting around staring at slow torture tests for days now :D.

ocstable.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1804584

SETTINGS: see above.

VOLTAGES: and heres the best part----> ALL VOLTAGES AT lowest possible setting that the 780i would let me choose. LOWEST setting for MCP->SPP, MCP, SPP, FSB, ALL lowest possible settings (might even be under stock auto maybe?)

EXCEPT! the 8 gigs of 800mhz stock ram are at 1.850 stock voltage.

CpuCore Voltage = 1.23/1.24

The Vdrop and Vdroop on this evga 780i is so insane that I am hitting 1.184 as you can see from the pics. Temperature was no higher than 52-53 for the most part, except for one spike where it hit 60.

Approaching 7 HOURS on Prime 95 x64 with round off error checking enabled, no errors, smooth sailing.

ocstable.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1804677

SO....WHAT DO YOU SAY???

Is this overclock worthy of being left intact until the card meets it's demise? The very low voltage (VID is 1.25) will hopefully ensure a LONG lifetime despite the high clock.

Oh by the way, im on 5 fans air cooling + 1 xtreme gear i7 aftermarket fan on the CPU. I leave fan speed at 60% < 50C, and 100%>51.

COMMENTS? Should I stop here or push this beast to 5ghz?

And be honest...is there really a gain in any performance past the 4.1/4.2ghz point?

spitfire6000

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
ive settled on the following:

4052.6 mhz
standard ram

all stock/minimal voltages except....

1.208V in cpu-z while idle
1.19 in cpu-z during 50% load
1.18 in cpu-z during 90-100% load

Everything seems crisply stable

Temperatures are under 55 degrees.

spitfire6000

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
A few more questions have arisen...

Should i update my bios to p10 from p08? will this help the vdrop and droop at all?

Should i increase the voltage higher and vram voltage also even though i am not overclocking my ram?

My vid on this chip is 1.250000, can i set bios voltage higher than this and still be safe considering the vdrop?

spitfire6000

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
understood.

I understand cpu voltage now and ram also...

But what about the mobo voltage? When do I know if i need more FSB / northbirdge/ southbridge / sp-mcp volts than what i already have?