miller46

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I would like to purchase a Fast NAS 2TB/Raid 1 configured (2 X 2TB utilized).I would prefer an enclosure to install specified HDD instead of a bundled system. What are my options without costing me life savings. also, could SATA 6Gb/s HDD be utilized or a waste of money. Please advise.

FireWire2

Distinguished

For NAS - it means you access through network, this also mean speed CAN NOT be faster then the network connection.

Typical Gb E connection is less the 10M~100MB/s, this is way below any SATA drive speed. Most of the NAS system now supports SATAII -

Look at this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266120-32-best-solution-less

there is $99.00 NAS listed

2TB drives means hard drives, not SSDs. And there are NO hard drives which can even get close to the speed of a 3Gbit/sec SATA connection, let alone a 6Bbit/sec one. So don't worry about whether or not it can support 6Gbit/sec SATA.

And FireWire2 is absolutely correct, with a NAS the bottleneck is going to be the network connection. Because of that, a NAS makes sense when you want to use RAID for redundancy (RAID 1, 5 or 6), but it doesn't make a lot of sense when you're just trying to get better performance (RAID 0 or 1+0).

Darkside59

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Not sure is that's true, But you do realize that you're comparing bits to Bytes. @ 3Gbit/s = to 370MByte/s. My 74GB WD 10k Vrap in Raid 0 top out at +-300MB/s that close to maxing out SATA II speed. A buddy of mine over @ Newtechhorizon pair up 2x SATA III 128gb SSD in Raid 0 and he is getting a whopping 900MB/s, that maxing out SATA III Speed.

But for a NAS setup, I understand if you have SATA II or SATA III, it wouldn't matter because the limitation of the network.