Sign in with
Your question

How does AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 compare to Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2009 3:02:39 AM

I bought a laptop with AMD Turion Ultra X2 XM-82 and i was just wondering where does it stand when comparing it to the Intel chips? What's the Intel's alternative?
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2009 11:16:07 AM

It's hard to compare without list a specific model of laptop, as well as the price range you're shopping in. For us cash-conscious shoppers, the procedure is
a) Set a budget.
b) Squeeze as much into it as possible.
Besides, you've already made the purchase, so why do the comparison now?

If you're really interested, most online reviews of laptops will have some sort of benchmark information. Google you model number, get figures for it, and then compare them to others already listed.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2009 8:44:59 PM

looks solid, buit pricey for my taste, never saw the need for 500gb on a lappy
m
l
September 11, 2009 12:15:36 AM

Thanks for a reply!

For me, it was between the one on the top, and this one
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&...

I went with the first one, cuz its cheaper, very comparable otherwise, and came bundled with lots software like the Corel suite, etc.

Still i think the value/price is pretty good. Keep in mind thats Canadian Dollars we are talking about here =)
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:09:09 AM

AMD processors run much hotter than Intel processors on laptops.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:25:36 AM

That's because intel laptops have joke graphics while AMD's are good. Better laptops are hotter and less energy efficient, that is the price you pay.
m
l
October 20, 2009 1:38:42 AM

Knirps said:
I bought a laptop with AMD Turion Ultra X2 XM-82 and i was just wondering where does it stand when comparing it to the Intel chips? What's the Intel's alternative?

turion is around atom's line to intel, though amd had "geode" that was suppose to compete with atom but performance..."sight" any mobile processor from intel will simply pwn turion.

go with intel, smart choice!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:42:15 AM

jennyh said:
That's because intel laptops have joke graphics while AMD's are good. Better laptops are hotter and less energy efficient, that is the price you pay.

That's not the only factor. Most of AMD's laptop CPUs are on 65nm, and are not capable of the same level of idle power. 45nm are coming out, but they still use more power than a comparable performance Intel CPU. Honestly, Intel's laptop CPUs are simply better. AMD has the better IGPs, but the solution to that is simply to get an Intel laptop with a better GPU.

As much as I wish that AMD was more competitive in laptops, the simple fact is that they can't compete for performance or power with the current 45nm Intel Core 2 CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:46:22 AM

I think that if you had two unbranded laptops running a series of benchmarks, 9/10 people would choose the AMD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:47:01 AM

cheesesubs said:
turion is around atom's line to intel, though amd had "geode" that was suppose to compete with atom but performance..."sight" any mobile processor from intel will simply pwn turion.

go with intel, smart choice!

Turions are AMD's competitor to Intel's Core 2 line. They aren't as fast as the Core 2, but they are far and away better than the Atom.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:48:01 AM

jennyh said:
I think that if you had two unbranded laptops running a series of benchmarks, 9/10 people would choose the AMD.

That depends. If one of them was an Intel Core i7 notebook with a mobile 4670, and the other was a Turion x2 with an IGP, I'd bet quite a bit that almost every single one would chose the Intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 1:51:39 AM

Well the 4670 would still be AMD.

But yes I obviously meant that 9/10 would choose amd/ati vs intel/intel if they had to see both in action first.
m
l
October 20, 2009 2:09:08 AM

cjl said:
Turions are AMD's competitor to Intel's Core 2 line. They aren't as fast as the Core 2, but they are far and away better than the Atom.

it was originally address at celeron m's level......however it got pwned by celeron m in both performance and power consumption, not to mention better fabrication(65nm to intel's 45nm). and it is not far outclass than atom, only around 20~35% over in performance
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 6:36:59 AM

cheesesubs said:
it was originally address at celeron m's level......however it got pwned by celeron m in both performance and power consumption, not to mention better fabrication(65nm to intel's 45nm). and it is not far outclass than atom, only around 20~35% over in performance

It is vastly more than 20-35% faster than an atom. It is much closer to a core 2 duo than an atom in performance.
m
l
October 20, 2009 8:41:21 AM

nobody's gonna mention the chipset on these things?

m
l
!