Custum PC shuts down help!!

microdots

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I built my pc a while back it worked great for a while but not anymore. My problem is that it will shut down during any graphic intensive game usually at the same point and I cant seem to understand why. Ive tinkered with multiple settings including on the bios and nothing seems to fix the situation unless i disable the CPU external cache; it stops the computer from shutting down but games are than laggy and unplayable. When i first built my comp it preformed perfectly then just one day it stopped, ive also formatted my hdd multiple time and slapped a fresh copy of windows on it but i still cant seem to fix it.

these are my specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Version 6.1.7100 Build 7100
BIOS:
Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 5/23/2008
PSU:
250w
Mobo:
Nvidia GeForce 6100sm
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
Western Digital 137 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT EVGA SSC Editon
Monitor:
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)
Sound Card:
SB Audigy
Keyboard:
Logitech G15
Mouse: Razer Death Adder

Let me know if i need any additional info

PLZ help :D

Can't find EVGA's power requirement data for your specific vid card, but EVGA GeForce 9600GT Low Power asks for 300W minimum, and e-GeForce 9600 GSO asks for 400W minimum.

As Bigblue says, you need to replace that as a first step. When you need lots of power for graphics, its just not there.

microdots

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Dang, I just peeked the card specs on NVIDIAs web site and that seems absolutely right. I've considered that being the problem before and I just used a PSU calculator to check for myself but I guess it must not have been too accurate. It will be a while before I can get a new one but I'm sure that is the problem. I feel pretty stupid for not double checking such an obvious cause. :p Thanks for your help!

microdots

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I've acquired a 450w PSU from a friend but a little thing that looks like a doughnut with wires wrapped around it has come out of some place. Im quite sure i can see where it belongs but it would require some novice welding. Do you think it would be a good idea to try to repair it or should i just not waste my time and just buy a new one?

My dad was an electrician, taught me a lot, I designed and built a few boards for automated model trains/PC interface . . . if you don't know what capacitors can look like, and how they can hurt you *bad* even with the plug out of the wall . . . no, I wouldn't bother.

But that's just me.

G

The Solution :

the problem that causes the shutdown is an option in the Bios Setup.

enter the Bios Setup and under section "PC Health" you will find a temperature warning option. usually it is set to default 60 degrees. and instead of giving you a warning it shuts down the PC. so raise it to 70 for example and it will work!

i believe the CPU gets heated to 60+ in games and that causes the shutdown.

hope that helps!