Promise TX4310 an Vertex 2E drives - please help!

Hi all,

I recently bought 4 SSDs and the Promise TX4310 raid card... I read that the performance in terms of the read speed should increase almost in parallel with the number of drives attached. The RAID card is currently stuck on a Asus P5DWH motherboard on the PCI slot and I belive it is running at 66MHz. Anyway, I downloaded crystal mark disc to check the performance of the RAID 0 where 4 OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E discs are attached and I am still getting a super low score of about 115MB/s read and about 97MB/s write...? That is testing it between 100MB - 4000MB sequential reads... I am getting fairly persistant scores...

I know the box said that the max bandwitdh for this PCI card is 266MB/s burst. The OCZ is capable of 285MB/s read... so surely the theortical limit is 285MB/s x 4 discs since it is on RAID 0... Any ideas why I am getting only 115MB/s read? Anything to do with the motherboard?

Also, I can't seem to run Windows 7 x64 on this raid... I can only run x32 which obviously I guess would be a bit of a bottleneck... Any ideas would be much appreciated :bounce: :bounce:
7 answers Last reply
More about promise tx4310 vertex drives help
  1. Oh, and I'm going to add that I'm using the Q6600 processor although I doubt that is going to make much of a difference...

I have components for my 2500k but I'm waiting for barbs for my cooling block...

Also, my laptop running an i7-720qm with a 256GB Samsung SSD is producing a 200MB/s+ read speed... actually boots windows in half the time so not quite sure what is wrong with my desktop? please help :(
  2. AceCobra1 said:

I know the box said that the max bandwitdh for this PCI card is 266MB/s burst. The OCZ is capable of 285MB/s read... so surely the theortical limit is 285MB/s x 4 discs since it is on RAID 0...

I don't think that it works that way...The 266MB/s is the limit of the PCI buss, so I would think that that would be the max, whether you had 1 drive or 20! :o
  3. I was about to buy Adaptec 1430SA x4 Port SATA II (300mbps) PCI-E Raid Card *Oem*

Since it runs on the PCIe and says maximum bandwidth is 300MB/s I'm guessing that is per PORT and not the total bandwidth
  4. The Promise TX4310 has a PCI interface which claims to run at 66MHz with a total burst of 266MB... so I'm guessing max read would be 266 x 4 ?
  5. AceCobra1 said:
    I was about to buy Adaptec 1430SA x4 Port SATA II (300mbps) PCI-E Raid Card *Oem*

Since it runs on the PCIe and says maximum bandwidth is 300MB/s I'm guessing that is per PORT and not the total bandwidth

I would verify that with Adaptec before I depended on it. Maximum is usually the max for the device...
  6. I just connected the 2x Vertex 2E to the SATA 3 on the P8P67 motherboard... the Vertex 2E says that it has a read speed of a maximum of 285MB/s... When I ran crystaldiscmark on it, it only gave a result of 203mb/s for and indivual disc and with I raid 2 disc together into raid 0, I am only getting a 360MB/s read... Is that normal or is there a bottleneck? I'm running the 2500k as well as 8GB of vengence ram
  7. The P67 motherboards have an issue with the SATA ports. Those boards are no longer available until INTEL can get a fix for the chipset, at which point they will be recalled. That may explain your issue..
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Performance Storage