vinay_venturas

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Hi. I had planned of buying the mobo p55 gd65. In the review of this board on anandtech, it has been given that it doesn't work with a few PSUs. Is that right?
Which PSU do you use with that board?

Solution
Vinay- I don't have the GD65, but I have the GD80 which has the same Foxconn socket at the GD65 and have had no problems. As far as I can tell, as long as you are not going to be extreme overclocking with really high voltages, you should be ok. I would suggest seating your CPU and locking it down, then removing it again and checking the pads on the CPU. If you can see a clear dimple on each pad where the pin of the socket pressed into it, you should have a good connection and a fine board. My socket makes good and clear contact on every pad and I've overclocked my i5 all the way to 4.0 GHz with zero problems, and I'm running it 24/7 at 3.6 GHz with no issues. These MSI Boards are fantastic and I think, a very good buy and great...

TheViper

Distinguished
Can't you link to any articles or discussions about the PSU problems?

I can't find any myself and can't imagine why it would have a selective problem with certain PSU's. It's an ATX board so it's supposed to conform to specific ATX standards meaning any ATX PSU should be fine.

TheViper

Distinguished
They seem to be having a server problem at the moment.

Can you recall what they said?

EDIT: Managed to find the cached comments of the article.
The motherboard seems to be incompatible with Channel Well manufactured PSU's.

vinay_venturas

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

Have you overclocked your processor?
Haven't you experienced any socket burning problem?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Vinay- I don't have the GD65, but I have the GD80 which has the same Foxconn socket at the GD65 and have had no problems. As far as I can tell, as long as you are not going to be extreme overclocking with really high voltages, you should be ok. I would suggest seating your CPU and locking it down, then removing it again and checking the pads on the CPU. If you can see a clear dimple on each pad where the pin of the socket pressed into it, you should have a good connection and a fine board. My socket makes good and clear contact on every pad and I've overclocked my i5 all the way to 4.0 GHz with zero problems, and I'm running it 24/7 at 3.6 GHz with no issues. These MSI Boards are fantastic and I think, a very good buy and great value (especially the GD65).

Solution

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I wouldn't worry too much about MSI- their latest lines of boards (especially the P55 line) is really a great set of boards. My P55-GD80 has been running absolutely ROCK SOLID OCed for a couple months now, with me cranking everything I've got at it.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i have a corsair 550vx with gd65 , it works ok (550vx = CWT , 520 HX = Seasonic) . anandtech said that OC genie does not work with cwt that's all .... i havent tried that out .. as i havent had any problem manually ocing it , no need for genie .