Why get a ssd hardrive?

Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2011 3:32:07 PM

why get a ssd hardrive?

More about : ssd hardrive

Best solution

a c 290 G Storage
February 14, 2011 4:07:21 PM

That's a very good question. The most common answer in this and other forums seems to be Windows, games, software, and other applications will initially load faster. In addition a few items that are called up will also load faster. For example, if you are playing a game and need to consult a map, the map might load faster. The improved speed and performance can vary quite a bit between different types of ssd's and applications.

The downside is the price. For the time being SSD's are expensive for consumers. It will be a few years before prices are reduced significantly. In addition, ssd's will not improve anything done on the Internet.

There is also the issue of "bragging rights" - be the first one with the newest, fastest, biggest, beast available.
February 14, 2011 4:10:11 PM

Best answer selected by markusX64.
m
l
Related resources
a c 300 G Storage
February 14, 2011 7:44:36 PM

Markusx64 said:
why get a ssd hardrive?

Bragging rights!
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2011 7:57:03 PM

Markusx64 said:
why get a ssd hardrive?

Because you want one! :bounce: 
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2011 8:08:56 PM

Markusx64 said:
why get a ssd hardrive?

My desktop computers have fast hard drives and boot pretty quickly, but I have some apps to run that do take a long time to load. An SSD would help with this. My home desktop computer doesn't run any big apps so I don't see that there would be any benefit for me to put an SSD in that one.

Also I have 2 laptops and they take a long time to boot, probably due to relatively slow hard drives. I would like to convert both of them to SSD. This would help them to boot faster, and make them hybernate and wake up faster too.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 15, 2011 11:45:25 PM

Trust me, you'll notice the difference. Even bloatware like MS Word 2007 loads in a second or two.
m
l
!