• SSD
  • Drivers
  • OCZ
  • Processors
  • AMD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2011 7:59:52 PM

is there a way for me to get the drivers for my ssd other than the microsoft ones. my drive is reading writing about half of what it should be and somone told me its the drivers. please help.

processor- amd athlon II x4 640
ocz agility 2 60gb

More about : ocz agility amd processor

February 14, 2011 8:10:11 PM

the driver you are refering to is the Microsoft AHCI driver. That driver shoudn't be the issue, that driver is responsible for the SATA controller, not the operation of the drive. That driver isn't even upgradable, it's a part of the OS itself. What the other person was probably referring to was the SSDs firmware. Here's a link to OCZs site where you can get a firmware update: link.

Keep in mind that updating firmware can be risky and you definitely want to backup your data first. You'll also want to make sure that any firmware update you do isn't "destructive", meaning that it won't wipe the drive.
m
l
February 14, 2011 8:48:34 PM

so how do i exactly do this update? i dont want to mess anything up! will this boost speed of my ssd? if a "clone" my ssd to my 1tb hard drive and something goes wrong and i restore from the clone will i have to reactivate programs?
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2011 9:17:28 PM

Yes, a firmware update can boost the speed of an SSD. The update download should have instructions included. I don't know for sure if you'd have to reactivate windows if you cloned it and restored from a clone. Reactivation shouldn't be to painful if it has to be done, though.

I don't have any experience with OCZ firmware updates, so someone else can chime in as to the safety of particular firmware updates. From what I've heard lots of people have updated their firmware without a hitch, but there are still some stories of people having problems.

EDIT: Here's a link to some OCZ documentation: Firmware update docs
m
l
February 14, 2011 9:35:54 PM

ok only problem i just read it and you can only update if its not running your windows install which mine is.
m
l
February 15, 2011 8:39:48 PM

stevenlikesfishing said:
is there a way for me to get the drivers for my ssd other than the microsoft ones. my drive is reading writing about half of what it should be and somone told me its the drivers. please help.

processor- amd athlon II x4 640
ocz agility 2 60gb

AMD CPU use the AMD AHCI driver from amd
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downl [...] -64.aspx#3

also OCZ screwed it's recent customers and used slower components in the same drive
so the speed will not be what we paid for!- from the OCZ forum it gave me a migraine
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/ [...] ives/page4
m
l
February 16, 2011 12:27:24 AM

the site says that page has been removed.....
m
l
!