Had 2 of thest fail at the same time

elim12345

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Hello,
Lost 2 of these 1.5Tb Seagate drives at the same time. Tried on multiple computers and still they could not be found. I installed a fix and still they could not be found. These drives were only a few months old.
I wasn't going to return these drives because of all the personal information on them.
I busted them up with a hammer and swore I would only use WD from now on. WD is the only one for me. Seagate = Say Bye Bye to Your Data!

MarinJV

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Drives are usually nor reliable any more - data, if they "spin" up, can be saved to another, new drive of course. If the controllers are filing it is a problem to find same (exchange to save data) otherways 3 to 10 days time per drive - depends what got wrong.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
There are things you can do to recover the data. There have been a couple of instances where I had a similar issue and certain SW was able to find and move the data. In other cases, I had picked up an identical replacement and swapped the platters with more or less success (natutally, then transferring to an unopened drive).

But I'm with you. I can't stand Segate nor IBM/Hitachi. I'm personally a WD and Samsung fan. All my WD drives have been rock solid save for some physical issues (sata connector snapped off).

As far as personal data on them, a big ol magnet will take care of that.