External HD or internal with IDE/Sata to usb adapter?

External HD or internal with IDE/Sata to usb adapter?

• Total voters

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey guys,

Which do you recommend for me?

A little background...

I'm letting my girl use my old HP Pavilion 9870 with an 80 GB WD HD. We recently got a Kodak Playsport Zx3 and after she transferred 16 GB of HD vids/pics to the 80 GB HD the PC would no longer go into windows...it would try and get as far as the windows login screen, but then would go back to asking to start in safe mode, last known good settings, etc. I took the HD out, transferred the vids/pics to my new PC's HD, deleted from the 80 GB, and now her PC starts up and runs just fine. I guess all that info isn't really needed, but it's what prompted me to start looking for a better storage solution...80 GB will not last very long anyway.

On to the main question, which would you recommend for me...

1.) Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB for $69.99

or

2.) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HD103SJ + Adapter for $68.72

or

3.) Other...if you vote for this, please say what it is you recommend a maybe a little of why.

I'm currently leaning towards the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HD103SJ + Adapter for $68.72. I don't consider myself a "techy", but I'm the closest we have from both our families and friends. If I ever need to "operate" on anyone's hard drive I think this will come in very handy. I've also heard very good things about the Samsung. I haven't really gathered very much intel. about the WD or the adapter though. One last thing to mention is that I'm building a new PC and could possibly use the Samsung in it while giving my old PC with a 640 GB WD to her. I'm not exactly sure about what I would do concerning operating systems and transferring or whatever just yet though...I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Price isn't really an issue either since they are about the same cost.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
-TG

BTW...it says the poll is closed when I went back in here to edit something...is that normal for the OP (my 1st time doing a poll), or did I do something wrong and it's closed to everyone?

tecmo34

Administrator
Well to answer your question... I would go with the Western Digital Elements drive, so the information is portable and can be used on your PC, as well. Also, I'm not a fan of adapters for IDE to SATA. Seen to many of them go bad or the setup not be stable to recommend it, on a personal bases.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It would be portable enough either way imo, and it is not for IDE to SATA...it's for Sata/Pata/IDE to USB...not sure that changes your opinion, but just making sure.

I haven't had any experience with them, but that would probably be my major concern going that route...that the connector might have issues...more parts also=more chance for one of them to go bad.

Also, were you able to vote, or did it say closed for you too?