Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive noise question

Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2011 10:18:19 PM

i've recently got a new computer, its only just been a week and the last few days (2/3) i've noticed randomly the computer will started making a loud clicking/ticking sound, iTunes will pause by itself then after no more than 10 seconds the clicking/ticking noise stops and iTunes starts playing again.
now in the time period, its only iTunes that stops playing - I can still switch between windows, etc... so the computer is not actually frozen
but its just done it now for the last 2/3 days and I just want to make sure its not a fault with the actual hard drive or something.

thanks for any help!
February 14, 2011 10:21:16 PM

also, i forgot to mention that its only happened once each of the last 2/3 days, around similar times i think too, so its not happening all the time.
plus, i'm only guessing its the hard drive after all i've read about clicking meaning hard drives are damaged etc...
when the clicking noise starts, the light on the front begins to flash a lot and stops when the noise stops.
hope thats enough info about the problem!
February 15, 2011 9:43:52 AM

Hi,
Ok.... i read your problem carefully it may be hard drive has any bad sector but can you clear me the noise sound you hear every time when you start your system or often..?
Related resources
a c 356 G Storage
February 15, 2011 10:44:42 AM

cupcake_01 said:
also, i forgot to mention that its only happened once each of the last 2/3 days, around similar times i think too, so its not happening all the time.
plus, i'm only guessing its the hard drive after all i've read about clicking meaning hard drives are damaged etc...
when the clicking noise starts, the light on the front begins to flash a lot and stops when the noise stops.
hope thats enough info about the problem!

Do you have any antivirus scans set to run during that time of the day? Do you have the indexing service enabled? If so, you may want to temporarily disable it to see if it's the cause.

You can also run HDTune or get your drive manufactures disk utility and check for SMART errors on the drive.
February 15, 2011 4:03:10 PM

@ Allnsmth
No, the only time I hear it is when the computer starts making the ticking noise, and now I think about it, its only actually for about 5 seconds.

@ Hawkeye22
Ah, I do have Norton 360 - I will check that and see if I have Indexing Running. I'll make a note today of when/if the noise happens, as to be honest, it only sounds like the computers doing something really important - I never hear that noise any other time other than those 5 seconds so I'm pretty sure now its not a problem. If it was, I've got all my files backed up on an external hard drive anyway.

I will report back with anything I find.
February 16, 2011 12:19:22 AM

Okay, so it started making the same noise before - it definitely wasn't at the same time as the one yesterday and probably lasted a few seconds longer (between 10 and 15 seconds). However, when the noise happened, the LED on the front was flashing a lot still as usual so possibly its nothing to do with the hard drive - could it just be the CPU or something accessing data?

my norton isn't set to scan at the time it happened, and nothing in the History of Norton said anything happened around that time.

next time it happens i'll open Task Manager and see what application uses the most CPU/Memory.

should I be worried though? the computer doesn't freeze up at all, itunes just stopping playing for the time (in todays case, the song that was playing which I just imported had just got to the end and was about to switch over but on other days, i'm sure it was in the middle of playing a song that it occured). could it be iTunes possibly?
a c 356 G Storage
February 16, 2011 10:39:18 AM

It doesn't sound harmful. The OS will do reads/writes even with no one using the computer. It still does stuff like indexing, writing to the event logs, and stuff like that.

Most antivirus do scans when the system is idle. Real time scans will scan whenever you access files.
!