Sign in with
Your question

Building gaming rig with $600 budget

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2009 8:49:06 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Dosn't bother me, I'll probably be getting the parts over time.

BUDGET RANGE: $900

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing games at high specs. Internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.ifocus.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz BUT I don't mind, just model and such is needed.

PARTS PREFERENCES: HD4850, AMD Phenom X3 II 720 BE, Asus M4N78, 4GB Ram.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes though not experienced.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire, twin HD4850s would be nice.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would be nice if it could be quiet but I'm not fussed. The parts for preferences are not necessary just parts I like so far. But moneys just the issue here. I'm not going to spend way to much but I won't spend to little either. But I would like it if I could have those parts. And I'm not exactly sure if the Asus mobo supports the HD4850.

The HD4850 and Phenom X3 is the most expensive graphics card and cpu I'm looking at. Not keen for anything more then they cost. And 4Gb ram is a must.

Thanks for any help =]
June 8, 2009 9:05:47 AM

Sorry, just to be clear, based on the sites you've listed, US or Kiwi dollars? In any case, I think you might have to drop CrossFire to meet your budget. One 4850 should be enough to run your 1680 display properly.
Related resources
June 8, 2009 9:11:55 AM

My budget is in US dollars. Soo the 600 is USD. I just do that to make it clearer for other people who sometimes don't know that theres a difference in currencies (not calling Americans stupid just happened to me last time).

Fair enough, any other tips?
June 8, 2009 9:17:09 AM

Hmmm, PSU, I'm new to building computers and such. So PSU is one thing I don't know much about if anything >_>.
June 8, 2009 9:19:57 AM

I think your best bet would be to run something like a Phenom II x2 550 BE on a CrossFire motherboard and dual 4770s, a Phenom II 720 if you can fit it in your budget.

Little power consumption, great performance, easily overclockable (I've heard of 3.8GHz+ on the 550 many times).
June 8, 2009 9:30:19 AM

@ CyanideCool Aid you cannot crossfire on that motherboard...It has only 1 pcie x16 slot...You need a mobo with atleast 2 pcie x16 slots for crossfire and for 4850 crossfire, you would need a good 600+W PSU...
June 8, 2009 9:32:41 AM

I realize I can't crossfire on that mobo but I was or am open to suggestions for anything =].

@Fortunex: seems interesting I'll take a look.
June 8, 2009 9:36:47 AM

Here are a few good comparatively low cost mobos, which have crossfire support...
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
ASRock A780GXH/128M
ASRock A790GXH/128M
The gigabyte option would be the best but if you cant find it, then even ASRock boards are good...
June 8, 2009 1:26:42 PM

CyanideCool aid said:
My budget is in US dollars. Soo the 600 is USD. I just do that to make it clearer for other people who sometimes don't know that theres a difference in currencies (not calling Americans stupid just happened to me last time).

Fair enough, any other tips?

I, an American, am not calling You stupid. But It would make a lot more sense to list your budget in the same currency as the websites you listed where you are buying from.
June 9, 2009 3:50:18 AM

orangegator said:
I, an American, am not calling You stupid. But It would make a lot more sense to list your budget in the same currency as the websites you listed where you are buying from.

Fair Enough, I've changed it now to NZD. Sorry for any confusion. I guess I shouldn't of put those sites :S.

And a note, those sites aren't necessary to use. Just need model and such, because I have other places to look etc.
!