Just ordered new acrylic case

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
This one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166006 (though Newegg has some pretty crappy pictures of it).

And then I ordered 7 blue LED Thermaltake Thunderblades, 5 80mm for the normal fan slots in the case, and 2 120mm that I'm gonna drill in the top.

I'm gonna flip the back & sides around for a BTXish style.

Those fans, combined with my 4870 (that has a blue LED) and my PSU that has green LEDs, this thing is gonna shine. :)

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for it? I'm up for all sorts of modding.

Get some 'snakeskin' sleeving if you can, great for keeping cabling tidy with very little effort.
1000108sy.jpg

1000115o.jpg

G

Good luck with the build, would look at going with a "breating effect" with cold cathode lights, and google ways to keep it clean without scratching the case as acrylic scratches easily.

Lastly wiring would be key here so invest in some decent wiring tidies for the case

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I did a build for someone once who wanted one of these (damn customers and their damn shopping). The build was an absolute BlTCH, especially since you need to build the case yourself. However it looks amazing with 12 3" cathodes and plenty of LED fans. The problem I found was stability, so I cut down 2 metal pipes and polished them to a near mirror finish and put them at the 2 corners of the case to keep it fully stable and it worked and looked great. A real pain of a mod, but I got into it.

They are a joy to work on aren't they. :lol:

ulysses35

Distinguished
I like the idea... just dont like the idea oc all the cabling being visible. If It was me I would be tempted to black out the panel behind the mobo tray, that way you could hide some of the clutter.

I look forward to seeing the finished project

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

I know, I've had the exact same case before, but I accidentally stripped the mounting holes for the motherboard (I tightened the screws a bit too tightly) and the motherboard started to fall. :(

My PSU has sleeved cables for the most part, and the ones that aren't sleeved are still VERY stiff, so they can be molded very easily.

Since when did they start putting LED's on the back of motherboards??

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I feel like a bad OP. I never received any emails about new posts in the thread, and today on my way home from work I was wondering why I hadn't had any replies, but sure enough!

I'm actually about to start. My friend doesn't get off work til 8:30 (EST), and he's got the dremel to cut the topside holes for the 120mm fans, so it won't be finished for a bit. I'll be sure to take some pictures (I wish my fiance's camera wasn't retarded, or else I'd be able to take good pictures. Wait, my sis is in town, and she's a pro photographer! Hi-yo!).

Wish me luck guys!

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Whoa. That's more lighting than I'd card to look into!!

I actually just used a patch of carpet in a spare bedroom. It's all soft and whatnot. Although the static was a bit much at times, I just grounded myself on the power supply's grounding cable.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
So I got it all put together! It took like 5 hours (because I'm WAY too OCD about all the wires being everywhere). I started around 9PM (I was waiting for a friend to get off work to see if he wanted to help, but turns out he couldn't make it), and finished at 1:53AM, which resulted in a stream of obscenities, as I had to be here at work at 7:45, so I had to be up at 6:30. :(

All in all, it wasn't difficult, just time consuming to make sure I was using the right screws (as there was around 16 different kinds to choose from) and got the panels on straight.

I took a bunch of pics during the build, however, only had my camera on my phone, the LG Dare. It's better than most all other cameras on phones, but it still doesn't hold a candle to a normal camera. Stupid sister and her not wanting to come over!

0917091915.jpg

My kitten, Clyde, on her never ending quest to find a new source of cheezburgers.

0917092112.jpg

Found the dammit gloves!

0917092143.jpg

Here is where I realized that I couldn't use the top as the bottom to make room for two large 120mm fans, as the slots to hold the drive bays upright were keyed in only one way. :(

0917092222.jpg

She really doesn't give up.

0917092229a.jpg

And at this point, even trying to distract her doesn't keep her away for more than a minute.

0917092239.jpg

0917092302.jpg

After I've ripped out the guts of the old case. Goodbye, Chakra, you were a good case, but nowhere near clear enough. :)

0917092302a.jpg

The rest of the parts. Note the two graphics cards, mousemonkey. And yes, that's two laptop hard drives. I use them for backup of game images and software and stuff.

0918090008.jpg

Check out the shine on that butterfly!

0918090008a.jpg

This is when the time consumption really began: hiding as much of the cabling as possible!

0918090102.jpg

All closed up.

0918090102a.jpg

A close up for you, mousemonkey.

0918090120.jpg

And voila! All done!! Now to reroute the cabling on my desk so I can keep it on my left now, instead of my right.

0918090714.jpg

Evelyn 3.5, in all her glory!

Now I just have to cut the hole in the top for the 120mm fan and get a front panel for USB / Audio and everything will be peachy!

Thanks for staying with me, everybody! I look forward to your feedback.

Edit: Those last few images are just showing up as links for me, even though I have the

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

I wish that I had a normal camera so the pictures didn't turn out blurry, I tried to get some from when she was tasting the case. She gnawed on it for a good 5 minutes before I even caught on to what she was doing. Didn't scratch it or anything though. It must have REALLY tasted like a cheezburger.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

They were only 10 LED strips, but I couldn't find those. Also it worked pretty well, the point was to eliminate shadows in the case so that one could see it clearly even in sunlight, his computer desk was in front of a large window.

Love your case and love the Cat, she is very cute.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Oh, ok, that makes sense. I just thought that he wanted to get rid of all the other lights in the room.

My friend found her and her 4 siblings in a box outside a doctor's office. The people didn't even have the decency to take them to the shelter so they'd at least be out of the rain. I really hate people sometimes. Although I'm kinda glad they did, as now we have her, and all of her siblings have homes too.

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Typical. What are we gonna do with our girls?

Well, the only things I want to do with it now are drill some holes in the acrylic (with mattidallama's help, as I've never actually used one before) for some bigger fans, then get fan grills for each one, and buy a front panel USB/FPaudio/Firewire/SD card reader, and I'll be peachy.

What would you guys here think about me changing out the two side fans and cutting holes for 120mm fans instead of 80mm, in addition to making another hole on the top front for another exhaust?

After having both graphics cards in there last night, the 4870 was absurdly hot (like 78C idle), but immediately taking out the 8800, it dropped to 45C idle.

Then, upon stressing my CPU, it hit 100C and shut down. O.O However, like in the other case, I put a 120mm fan blowing on it towards the exhaust fan and it dropped to 45C idle and 68C load. I think that maybe if I had a 120 in that slot instead of the 80, then I could take out the 120 that's just sitting in there. But, then again, it would be pretty much blowing on the top fin, and not blowing air through all of the fins. :/

Anyone have any ideas?