Sign in with
Your question

EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR or GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P

Last response: in Motherboards
November 29, 2009 8:12:15 PM

My name is Bubba and I need some help deciding which mobo I should buy and which ram suits my preference best. I do some gaming, Modern Warfare 2, Crysis etc. I like to watch movies on the computer too so I'll be doing HD movies also. Here are my specs:

Thermaltake Element G case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
Intel Core i5-750 2.66ghz (will try to overclock it to 3.8ghz)
Corsair H50 cpu cooler
Corsair 650w psu
Seagate 500gb 7200
Samsung External DVDrw
Sapphire HD5770 gpu

I'm looking to buy either the:
EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

OR

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm stuck on deciding which board I should buy. As for the memory rams, here are the options:

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
OR
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C8

I know that this sounds kinda silly but yeah, I don't know the difference between two of those. They look like the best options for right now. I'll get 4gb for now and will get 4 more later on.

So can you please help me choose which motherboard and rams to buy. Thank you so much in advance.

Bubba.
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 11:37:15 PM

I recommend the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P and the XMS3 RAM.

Both will serve your purposes well and are of the best quality and reliability.
m
l
November 30, 2009 5:14:38 AM

thanks for your input... that's what i'll probably get...
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
November 30, 2009 2:03:41 PM

If you plan on x-fire with two GPUs down stream and plan on using sata6/USB3, the P55a is not for you. If you enable USB3/Sata6 (1) you downgrade the 1st pci-e slot from 16 X to 8 X (not a biggie), HOWEVER, (2) you totally lose the 2nd PCI-e slot. Reason I went with the P55 NON A - Love it.

Added:
For memory I got the Ripjaw 1600 CL 7 - Love them, just got to XMP and load profile 1. It changed my Blck to 160 and CPU multiplier to 17. Change the multipler to 20 and instent 3.2 GHz.
m
l
January 25, 2010 2:17:08 PM

Hi guys, i too am trying to figure out a good MOBO to go with an i7 860...Iv ben seriously considering the Gigabyte P55A-UD4P However I dont like that the power of the PCI-E slot will be lost when using usb 3.0? I really dont know much about this topic, but i would like a board with usb/sata 3 aswell as 3 pci-e slots.

retiredChief what board are you reffering to, the non-A?

Thanks!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
January 25, 2010 4:48:12 PM

Phatfinder2
I was also considering the P55A, opted not to based on the PCI-E downgrade when activating the USB3/Sata6. Since I wanted to proceed with the Biuld, I opted for the P55 whith the Thought of getting an add on card later. Primarily for the USB3 as current HHDs and single SSDs are not bottlenected with Sata3. Running raid0 with SSDs (which I'm Not - have a single Intel G2 80 gig) would probably benifit from SATA6 - 3 SSDs in raid0 would need SATA6.
m
l
January 29, 2010 11:51:24 AM

RetiredChief said:
Phatfinder2
I was also considering the P55A, opted not to based on the PCI-E downgrade when activating the USB3/Sata6. Since I wanted to proceed with the Biuld, I opted for the P55 whith the Thought of getting an add on card later. Primarily for the USB3 as current HHDs and single SSDs are not bottlenected with Sata3. Running raid0 with SSDs (which I'm Not - have a single Intel G2 80 gig) would probably benifit from SATA6 - 3 SSDs in raid0 would need SATA6.

Hi thanks for your kind response, yes those are all the thoughts going through my head, although im knowladgable about how the pci-E set up works> I guess if you use usb 3.0 then your PCI-E card/s will reduce to PCI-E x8 not the full x16.....now being that i am not personally a gamer would that really be an issue for me?

Now iv been thinking, and my thoughts as to what would be nice for me is a board that has 3 pci-e slots, no usb3 and no sata3..However i can still learn and mess around with the 2 video cards i have by setting up sli/crossover/crossfire, again i really dont know anything about those settings, same with overclocking.

Anyway my thought with the 3rd PCI-E slot would be for a usb3.0.sata3 pci-e card?

What do ya think? I stilll have not picked out a board.

Thanks for your help with this one, its appreciated for sure!
Ed
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
January 29, 2010 6:19:22 PM

P55-UM4P If you put two Vid cards in they both will run at x8 - NOT abig performance issue. This is the same for the P55A AS long as you do not enable USB3/Sata6 support. If you enable USB3/Sata6 support on the "A", you lose the 2nd Pci-e slot.

I am also Not a gamer so I do not plan on using a 2nd vid card. so this is not a big issue with me as a single GPU will support a large screen monitor/HD TV (1080P) just fine. I have my 5770 hooked up to a 27 inch Monitor w/Digital Tuner.

If you want to wait, I think the next versions will improve support. Also the I7-920 with a x58A chipset may be a viable option.
m
l
January 30, 2010 11:28:42 PM

RetiredChief said:
P55-UM4P If you put two Vid cards in they both will run at x8 - NOT abig performance issue. This is the same for the P55A AS long as you do not enable USB3/Sata6 support. If you enable USB3/Sata6 support on the "A", you lose the 2nd Pci-e slot.

I am also Not a gamer so I do not plan on using a 2nd vid card. so this is not a big issue with me as a single GPU will support a large screen monitor/HD TV (1080P) just fine. I have my 5770 hooked up to a 27 inch Monitor w/Digital Tuner.

If you want to wait, I think the next versions will improve support. Also the I7-920 with a x58A chipset may be a viable option.

Thanks for your thoughts, yes that is the issue id like to see if i can avoid or atleast get a board that does not have USB 3.0 but does have a third PCI-E x16 slot for a USB 3.0 card, even though i am not a gamer id still like to install the two cards, just to learn how it all works....Iv already got the i7 860 so id need a board for that CPU, i dont plan on buying an i7 920.....

Some one suggested the ASUS p55 PRO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So maybe the real issue i should consider is weather or not to get a board with USB 3.0 or simply get a higher end board that will have enough slots for upgrading in the future? Any thoughts as to which board would be best concerning that way of thinking?

Maybe what i want id like in a board is just not out there?
m
l
January 31, 2010 2:09:51 PM

RetiredChief said:

This discussion has been very helpful as I am on the brink of purchasing the GIGABYTE P55A-UD4P. One question though, can't one simply disable USB3/SATA6 support and then the first PCI-e slot will run at 16x and the 2nd PIC-e slot would still be available ? Then if one ever wanted USB3 support they could just add a card, right? Not sure how you would disable USB3/SATA6 support though.
m
l
January 31, 2010 8:22:47 PM

Froboy411 said:
This discussion has been very helpful as I am on the brink of purchasing the GIGABYTE P55A-UD4P. One question though, can't one simply disable USB3/SATA6 support and then the first PCI-e slot will run at 16x and the 2nd PIC-e slot would still be available ? Then if one ever wanted USB3 support they could just add a card, right? Not sure how you would disable USB3/SATA6 support though.

i do see your point and i guess im with you would that be a valid option for that board? Im getting to the point where i might just buy a cheep board maybe one with just two PCI-E slots and no usb 3.0 or sata II? if there is one? Because I personally don't have any peripherals i could use with USB 3.0 or sata III, And iv got so many regular sata drives i dont see my self buying new sata II drives, i was thinking id buy one good one for the OS, and have the USB 3.0 on the board ready for any external devices.

Now after all this research and kind responses iv recived, maybe id be best getting a simple 1156 board and plan on upgrading?

Would anyone have any suggestions for a board thats around 100 bucks that would suit me until the time comes to upgrade?
m
l
February 3, 2010 11:31:42 PM

I was looking at one of the GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 (rev. 1.0). Newegg has it for $119.

It has USB 3.0 but no SATA 6 or ...

you could go with GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L for about $100 - no USB 3 or SATA 6 but close otherwise.
m
l
!