Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help!!! OCZ Vortex 2

Last response: in Storage
February 15, 2011 3:14:32 AM

Hello,

Just re-imstalled Win 7 on my new Vortex 2 SSD. My mobo supports sata II and I ran SSD Tweak, Disabled Indexing, and disabled Windows Search Indexing. My SSD aveage read is only 135 Mb/s. My burst is 235. What the hell??? Also, when I installed Windows, It said my drive was only 51.2 GB free of 60GB. It's a stock Win 7 Professional so no bloatware. PLZ Help? Info in Sig

More about : ocz vortex

Best solution

February 15, 2011 2:32:49 PM

I would check out the newegg feedback on this drive, according to some of the posts OCZ changed their manufacturing process from a 34nm to a 25nm. This will give you results that you are seeing. There are a decent amount of posts that describe the same issue that you are having.

Also some have stated that a firmware update will help out with some of the issue's...
a c 143 G Storage
February 15, 2011 3:52:42 PM

^+1...

Also, a screen shot of the benchmark is helpful, as well (AS SSD benchmark for example). It helps show what driver you are using, is it aligned... etc. However, I agree with the above on the 22nm vs 34nm, as the likely cause.
Related resources
February 16, 2011 12:13:39 AM

Thanks guys, Changing the size to a larger file ramped up the speed, but It sucks losing 15% of my space...
February 16, 2011 12:26:31 AM

This will give you results that you are seeing. There are a decent amount of posts that describe the same issue that you are having
a c 257 G Storage
February 17, 2011 12:14:39 AM

I was just over at the OCZ web site and forums. Recently OCZ changed from 34nm to 25nm NAND in their Vertex 2 series ssd's without any sort of press release or major announcements. In addition OCZ did not change the model name, product number, or description to reflect the switch. The Vertex 2 is still SATA II (3 Gb/s) too. Seems the 25nm NAND drives are not performing to customer expectations. I got the impression the new 25nm Vertex 2 performed worse than the original 34nm Vertex 2. OCZ may have been first to market with ssd's using 25nm NAND but that's all they can claim.
February 24, 2011 2:24:40 AM

Thanks for all the help... i got one of the 25nm NAND drives... If the ratios hold true throughout, a 1TB drive would only have 850gb of writable space :fou:  . Obviously when you onluy have 51 gigs to work with, it's ALOT more frustrating, but my main goal of swapping the drives was instant internet access within 5 seconds of windows loading, and that was realized.
March 3, 2011 12:07:22 AM

Best answer selected by S2Charlie.
!