Atom or core duo

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Performance
Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2009 2:56:47 PM

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me where i might find some information benchmarking or comparing the performance of an Atom processor vs a Core Duo (not core 2)

I am looking at some laptops, one with a 1.6 GHz atom with HT and the other a couple of years old with a 1.66GHz Core Duo.

Does the HT make up in part for the atom only having one core?

Thanks

More about : atom core duo

September 10, 2009 3:12:45 PM

Performance-wise, the Core Duo will beat the Atom, probably by a long way, but the Atom uses much less power and should have a significantly greater battery life.

So really it depends on which you prefer: a cheap system with a longer battery life which will be fine for web-browsing and the like but won't be much good for games or video editing or whatever, or a more expensive system with a shorter battery life which will handle more CPU-intensive tasks.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2009 4:49:28 PM

C2D will be my choice, even over battery life to be fair, have used an atom laptop and its ok unless you try do more than one thing at a time, really slow, hence XP still being the os for it...
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2009 5:41:55 PM

Atom is great for low power / performance netbook - for example using it as a mobile email / internet device. Office apps work fine too but thats about it.

Even early celerons based on the core architecture will leave the Atom behind.

September 20, 2009 9:10:20 PM

Core2Duo over Atom anyday, Unless you have some strange desire to use 64bit Addressing, which the Atom can do despite being only a 32bit.. However I have an Atom one of the first ones and I have to say it can hold it's own against my P4 2.6. However that may be the ram making the difference....
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2009 11:27:14 AM

He is not asking about Core 2 Duo, he's asking about Core Duo.
September 23, 2009 6:05:09 PM

I'd probably go with the core duo, since it's dual core, whereas most Atoms are not. Ulysses35 is right about the atom though. I recently got a Netbook, and as long as I'm not doing anything it works great but as soon as I start to do things (like open iTunes), the performance just goes to crap. If this is going to be your primary computer, I strongly suggest the core duo.
!