nzl51

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me where i might find some information benchmarking or comparing the performance of an Atom processor vs a Core Duo (not core 2)

I am looking at some laptops, one with a 1.6 GHz atom with HT and the other a couple of years old with a 1.66GHz Core Duo.

Does the HT make up in part for the atom only having one core?

Thanks

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Performance-wise, the Core Duo will beat the Atom, probably by a long way, but the Atom uses much less power and should have a significantly greater battery life.

So really it depends on which you prefer: a cheap system with a longer battery life which will be fine for web-browsing and the like but won't be much good for games or video editing or whatever, or a more expensive system with a shorter battery life which will handle more CPU-intensive tasks.

G

C2D will be my choice, even over battery life to be fair, have used an atom laptop and its ok unless you try do more than one thing at a time, really slow, hence XP still being the os for it...

ulysses35

Distinguished
Atom is great for low power / performance netbook - for example using it as a mobile email / internet device. Office apps work fine too but thats about it.

Even early celerons based on the core architecture will leave the Atom behind.

Shaykers

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Core2Duo over Atom anyday, Unless you have some strange desire to use 64bit Addressing, which the Atom can do despite being only a 32bit.. However I have an Atom one of the first ones and I have to say it can hold it's own against my P4 2.6. However that may be the ram making the difference....

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I'd probably go with the core duo, since it's dual core, whereas most Atoms are not. Ulysses35 is right about the atom though. I recently got a Netbook, and as long as I'm not doing anything it works great but as soon as I start to do things (like open iTunes), the performance just goes to crap. If this is going to be your primary computer, I strongly suggest the core duo.