Power supply shuts off with too many components

Brodieman

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Hey all, I just put together my first PC in a few years, so I'm a little rusty on the setup game. Anyway, I've got a Rosewill Green Series 630w PSU powering an XFX 750i mobo, C2D E7200, eVGA 9800 GT, 2GB of G.Skill, one IDE hard disk, and two optical drives. My first go 'round the whole setup powered up just fine, long enough for me to explore the BIOS quite thoroughly and start the process of installing Windows 7. Then it shut off abruptly. Repeated attempts to turn it back on yielded shorter and shorter power life, until it was just flashing on for a second.

On advice found at another forum I stripped it down to the basic components and started working my way up to see what might be causing a problem. I ended up finding that with only the motherboard, CPU, and three 80mm fans connected, the PSU will run seemingly indefinitely. Add anything else, the GPU, the RAM, the hard drive, the opticals, the hard drive and the opticals, any configuration beyond mobo, CPU, and fans and the thing shuts down.

I'm thinking the odds of it being a problem with any of those individual components are low since they all produce similar results (unless they're all each shorted and shot, in which case excuse me while I swallow this handful of sleeping pills), so is it the power supply? How can I test more definitively?

As a side note, a power supply that had lasted me a few good years going down the toilet was what doomed my last system and left me in 1Ghz Athlon hell for 13 months, so I'd be pretty incensed to find a faulty PSU has struck me again.