Windows7 - Non-HD class GPU

Wolfshadw

Titan
Anyone using Windows 7 and a non-HD class ATI card?

Next week, I'll be swapping out my sacrificial lamb (browser/test system) with a spare parts build and Windows 7. The only problem is the graphics card. It's an old ATI Radeon 9200 and unfortunately, the current budget doesn't allow for even a $25 replacement. Hopefully, I can talk a buddy of mine into buying my current browser system (an old Dell Optiplex GX270) for about $60; just enough to cover the cost of the case I have coming and a Windows 7 capable graphics card. If not, will the base windows drivers suffice for basic display functions?

Again, this is just a test system so it's not going to be anything fancy. I'll probably be looking at either an HD3450 or and HD4350 (any preferences?) a paycheck or two down the road. The most graphically intensive application this system will have to run is Spider Solitaire! Maybe I'll try to load Doom 2 on it.

I'm really just wondering what kind of headaches I can expect with this rig and Windows 7.

btw:

ASRock 939 Dual SATAII (both AGP and PCI-E slots)
AMD Athlon X2-4800+ 2.4GHz
2GB (2x1GB) DDR-400
Antec Basiq 500w
ATI Radeon 9200
Windows 7

Will replace:

Dell Optiplex GX270
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1GB (2x512MB) DDR-333
Standard Dell PSU
Zotac FX5200TV
Windows XP

Just as another option, what would you ask for the first rig, given that you added a $25 case, a $35 graphics card and it's a decent friend (though not a close friend)? His budget is worse than mine and I wouldn't mind weekly/bi-weekly payments. His current system is:

Dell Dimension 4400
Intel P4 1.6 GHz
512MB (2x256MB) DDR-333
Standard Dell PSU
GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Windows XP

-Wolf sends

well, aside from the obvious about not having aero (well, more than likely), driver issues for such an old card? (maybe)

about how much would i ask for a system with the add ons, idk it's hard to tell, i suppose maybe $100 ($125 if totally trouble free), but really it's better to give that kind of computer to charity IMO