Windows7 - Non-HD class GPU

Anyone using Windows 7 and a non-HD class ATI card?

Next week, I'll be swapping out my sacrificial lamb (browser/test system) with a spare parts build and Windows 7. The only problem is the graphics card. It's an old ATI Radeon 9200 and unfortunately, the current budget doesn't allow for even a $25 replacement. Hopefully, I can talk a buddy of mine into buying my current browser system (an old Dell Optiplex GX270) for about $60; just enough to cover the cost of the case I have coming and a Windows 7 capable graphics card. If not, will the base windows drivers suffice for basic display functions?

Again, this is just a test system so it's not going to be anything fancy. I'll probably be looking at either an HD3450 or and HD4350 (any preferences?) a paycheck or two down the road. The most graphically intensive application this system will have to run is Spider Solitaire! Maybe I'll try to load Doom 2 on it.

I'm really just wondering what kind of headaches I can expect with this rig and Windows 7.

btw:

ASRock 939 Dual SATAII (both AGP and PCI-E slots)
AMD Athlon X2-4800+ 2.4GHz
2GB (2x1GB) DDR-400
Antec Basiq 500w
ATI Radeon 9200
Windows 7

Will replace:

Dell Optiplex GX270
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1GB (2x512MB) DDR-333
Standard Dell PSU
Zotac FX5200TV
Windows XP

Just as another option, what would you ask for the first rig, given that you added a $25 case, a $35 graphics card and it's a decent friend (though not a close friend)? His budget is worse than mine and I wouldn't mind weekly/bi-weekly payments. His current system is:

Dell Dimension 4400
Intel P4 1.6 GHz
512MB (2x256MB) DDR-333
Standard Dell PSU
GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Windows XP

-Wolf sends
1 answer Last reply
More about windows7 class
  1. well, aside from the obvious about not having aero (well, more than likely), driver issues for such an old card? (maybe)

about how much would i ask for a system with the add ons, idk it's hard to tell, i suppose maybe $100 ($125 if totally trouble free), but really it's better to give that kind of computer to charity IMO
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Windows 7 Graphics Cards HD Graphics