Sign in with
Your question

ATX Motherboard vs Micro ATX

Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2009 1:35:42 AM

Sorry for the total newb question but, is there anything inherently inferior about a micro atx motherboard as opposed to a atx board ? I am building a computer for my parents and I'm considering purchasing this mobo and cpu combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... I realize this is a micro atx board and I'm just wondering is there any reason why I would rather have an atx board instead ? (I don't necessarily need to use a micro atx case, I will actually be using a mid tower case probably) Any general comments on the board/cpu selection are welcome. Thanks for you help.
a c 1027 V Motherboard
November 30, 2009 1:43:43 AM

Same technology fever expansion slots. It is sufficient as long as people don't have multiple expansion cards. You are certainly getting good value for your money there.
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2009 1:51:00 AM

Micro atx MB's generally do not have advanced BIOS features condusive to Ocing like the 'enthusiast' top of the line ATX boards have. Also, Micro boards generally have inferior voltage regulators when compared to mainstream enthusiasts MBs. Until recently, Matx MBs were catered more toward the cost effective workstation sector. That has changed in recent years. I have the 780g micro running currentlyusing native crossfire which is weak. I plan to upgrade that board to a 790FX in the future and give it to my son for gaming.
!