Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quad c.extrem ?i7 || animation build - around $4500

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 8, 2009 4:53:53 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next week monday
BUDGET RANGE: US$4000-4500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Animation 3dmax and graphic software

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: none

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none

PARTS PREFERENCES:
plz give suggestion about processor which one beter quad core extreme or i7 ???
graphic card ??
ram??
motherboard ?? (support xp 64bit and vista 64bit)
casing?


OVERCLOCKING: NO
Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: HD

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: spec. for fasting rendering .. and multitasking


i hope u all can help me before purchase date ..
June 8, 2009 5:43:13 PM

suggestions, dual LGA1366 xeons
quadro FX video card (or comparable firegl)
lots of memory
4 fast hdd's in a raid-0
June 9, 2009 4:23:15 AM

mindless728 said:
suggestions, dual LGA1366 xeons
quadro FX video card (or comparable firegl)
lots of memory
4 fast hdd's in a raid-0


oo thx


anyone ??? have other suggestion?
Related resources
June 9, 2009 6:35:47 AM

Hi...
The i7 has 3 different CPUs in 3 different price ranges...
As you are comparing it to a C2Q Extreme, I assume you are comparing the i7 extreme with it...
And of those 2 CPUs, the i7 would be faster and more efficient...

You can get comparable performance of a i7 extreme with the an i7 920, which costs about $280 but you would have to overclock it...

Here is a rough specs, that you can have as an reference...

CPU -
i7 920 - about $280
or i7 950 about $580
or the fastest desktop CPU on the planet - i7 975 Extreme about $1040

Mobo -
ASUS P6T
or Gigabyte UD4P

RAM -
OCZ/ GSKillz/ Corsair/ Mushkin 12GB kit(6x2GB) preferably 1600MHz or even 1333MHz would do and low CAS - preferably 7 or even 8 would be good...

SSD - 2x Intel X25-M 80GB in RAID 0 for OS and apps.

HDD - 1 or more 1TB WD Black for backup

CASE - Professional and sound dampening - Antec P 182

Power supply - Corsair 520HX

Graphics card -
ATI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Nvidia - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Check which works best with the apps that you run...

Totals - would easily fit in your budget...actually if you are in US, it would just hit about $4000 with the i7 975 extreme and the Nvidia FX 4800...
June 9, 2009 7:03:02 AM

gkay09 said:
Hi...
The i7 has 3 different CPUs in 3 different price ranges...
As you are comparing it to a C2Q Extreme, I assume you are comparing the i7 extreme with it...
And of those 2 CPUs, the i7 would be faster and more efficient...

You can get comparable performance of a i7 extreme with the an i7 920, which costs about $280 but you would have to overclock it...

Here is a rough specs, that you can have as an reference...

CPU -
i7 920 - about $280
or i7 950 about $580
or the fastest desktop CPU on the planet - i7 975 Extreme about $1040

Mobo -
ASUS P6T
or Gigabyte UD4P

RAM -
OCZ/ GSKillz/ Corsair/ Mushkin 12GB kit(6x2GB) preferably 1600MHz or even 1333MHz would do and low CAS - preferably 7 or even 8 would be good...

SSD - 2x Intel X25-M 80GB in RAID 0 for OS and apps.

HDD - 1 or more 1TB WD Black for backup

CASE - Professional and sound dampening - Antec P 182

Power supply - Corsair 520HX

Graphics card -
ATI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Nvidia - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Check which works best with the apps that you run...

Totals - would easily fit in your budget...actually if you are in US, it would just hit about $4000 with the i7 975 extreme and the Nvidia FX 4800...


about gc i will use quadro xfx ...

thx for u comment
June 9, 2009 10:41:43 AM

+1 to gkay09 the i7 975 overclocked would beat dual xeon nehalem 5520 with a clock of 2.26 GHZ each.IMO you must overclock because on air cooling some get to 5 GHZ and of course the 5 GHZ would beat the dual L5520 but at stock speeds the dual L5520 xeon nehalem would beat the i7 975
June 9, 2009 10:55:12 AM

computersss said:
+1 to gkay09 the i7 975 overclocked would beat dual xeon nehalem 5520 with a clock of 2.26 GHZ each.IMO you must overclock because on air cooling some get to 5 GHZ and of course the 5 GHZ would beat the dual L5520 but at stock speeds the dual L5520 xeon nehalem would beat the i7 975


sory i dont wan OC ...
June 9, 2009 10:57:43 AM

then the dual nehalem would be your choice,you need a monitor.os,keyboard and mouse right ?
June 9, 2009 11:33:45 AM

i7 for oc ??? can u give more detail about dual nehalem ? using what mobo and other spec.?
June 9, 2009 12:55:36 PM

using

2xIntel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602E5520 - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAL-i-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor 5500 sequence (Nehalem-EP processor) ... - Retail


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


2xG.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you need any other suggestions on anything else please don't hesitate
June 9, 2009 1:09:46 PM

thx for you spec. but many post i see other topic ... why many ppl suggestion ram brand g.skill ?? why not kingston or crucial ?

(sory for wrong spell)
June 9, 2009 1:38:50 PM

well for dual xeon nehalem you have to use a ddr3 ram with 1.5 volt and in the 1.5 volt the best is gskill

edit:generally gskill is one of the best brands also mushkin,crucial,ocz and corsair are excellent
June 9, 2009 2:35:28 PM

thx again computersss

1 more question for u .. i7 beter for oc ? and can u suggestion me spec . for i7 ??

thx again ..
June 9, 2009 2:54:04 PM

for i7 i would get

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 Nehalem 3.33GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ Platinum 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

edit:also a cooler

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

aslo a thermal compound

Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 9, 2009 3:50:08 PM

thx again computersss ,, i appropriate u reply ... thx
June 9, 2009 3:51:41 PM

you are welcome :) 
June 10, 2009 3:49:53 AM

suggestion still open ..

thx to all who reply to this topic
June 19, 2009 11:49:29 PM

first of all, what sort of 3D do you do? i too work in 3D/2D, and am currently building a new workstation. however you need to sort out what your needs are. i do character modeling, and game asset/environments/texturing/zbrush high poly workflow type stuff. i hardly ever render, but i do import into game engines a lot to check my models for ingame use. using this info, i have decided to forgo getting a quadro card, and a xeon cpu, because i cannot justify the cost, and for my 3D need it is overkill. and for running things in a game engine, having a geforce card will help me out more.

now thats not to say your build isnt perfectly fine if you are doing a lot of lighting/rendering/complex scenes in one of the 3D progams. so what is it you specialize in? and if you cant answer that then you may want to re-think dropping $4500 on a workstation.
!