Iomega gdhdu2 doesnt start

Qman44

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hello,
I have an iomega gdhdu2 external hard drive. It always worked fine, but a few dagys ago it won't start up anymore. The blue light on it shines, but it doesn't make its usual startup noise and i can't see it on my computer, not even in diskmanagement.
Can someone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it please?
Thanx a lot
(OPS: windows 7 premium)

zebban_90

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hi!

Have you found a solution to the problem?
I have the exact same problem with my hardddrive Iomega 1Tb same model nr as you have aswell...

You have any idea how to "brake" in to get access to the drive without damaging the case?

And i also have windows 7 but professional instead of premium...

best regards

sebastian Arvika Sweden

G

I've got exactly the same problem.
Did someone of you find a solution?

G

So,

I took a screwdriver to open the case of the drive (Got the idea from: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266515-14-iomega-gdhdu2-doesnt-start).

I still can open/close the case of the drive, so it's not completely broken. The only things you can see on my case are a few traces of using the screwdriver to open it (; .

As next I want to order a new case for the hard drive. I will tell you the result.

G

Finally it worked :)

I bought the "Rapid-Case 3,5" Sata" for this.

Some other informations:
My old case broke as it fell from a not really high place (or so, I don't really remember myself).
The drive I found in the iomega thing is from Samsung. It's the "HD103SI".

I hope you fix/have fixed your problems too.

Bye,
matt95

Jelf

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I understand this is an old thread, just adding this bit for future googler. My iomega gdhdu2 had the same symptom. When I open up the enclosure with a small size flat bladed screwdriver. I found the SATA and power interface of the hard drive was disconnected from the circuit board, and it worked as normal after I pushed the hard drive back in place. The hard drive was hanging onto the circuit board by one piece of electrical tape and no other mount when I found it. So I filled in some gap with hot glue, now it is working fine.

P.S. I had an opportunity to contact the IOmega customer service via online chat before I took the enclosure apart. They are friendly and try to be helpful. I was also assured I can try to recover the data myself before sending the product in for replacement without voiding the warranty. Well, in my case, no replacement was needed, so I had to cancel my RMA.

pumpkin_so77

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Also, for the benefit of other googlers. I had the same problem. I had transported my HDD around and my guess is that some components fell loose and hence the hard drive wasn't working. All I did was vigorously shake my hard drive for three days and I must've shook the connections back to place and now it is working again.

John0_UK

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I have exactly the same problem but, have opened up the harddrive case and checked/dicconnected/reconnected the connections and it still isn't working. I plug the harddrive in and the blue light comes on, there is a noise like the harddrive is attempting to start (about 4 times) then nothing! The drive does not appear on my desktop etc. This is really frustrating - the drive worked fine and now nothing and have important master video footage captured on there.

4x4cpa

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hi everybody,

"future googler" here. I had the exact same problem after dropping my Iomega hard drive. I am a newbie and didn't have a "backup for my backup". I also did not have $1,000 to attempt data recovery due to mechancical failure (I was quoted this price from several companies after describing the problem). My light would comes on, and the disk would spin but my laptop would not detect it. I thought I was going to have to get all geeked out, crack it open, mess around with some weird cables, curse etc. UNTIL..

the guy that said "shake vigorously" was not bullshi**ing! I shook my drive ONCE, I felt something slide into place and then I heard the miraculous sound of a drive being detected. UNBELIEVEABLE! Thanks for posting! I NEVER have this kind of luck!

rekster

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I had the same issue. Light comes on but the drive doesn't spin up or detect. I shook it, hear something click and all of a sudden it spun up but still no data. After prying the casing open with a flat head screwdriver I saw that there's a SATA hard drive just pushed onto a SATA connector attached to the circuit board. The drive isn't physically held down at all by anything. What an awful design, whoever designed this thing is an idiot you always lock a drive down into an enclosure.. In any case, push the drive onto the SATA connector, put something in to block movement and the thing works like a champ.