Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2009 6:28:24 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies, net type stuff

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drives (have a velocaraptor as my primary, a 400G sata as a storage drive),

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: New Egg

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not yet, but will down the road

• CPU - Phenom II X4 940: $189.99
  • GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P: $109.99
  • Coolermaster HAF Case and PSU Combo: $269.99
  • G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066: $54.99
  • EVGA GTX 275 $229.99 (after MIR)

I don't have a set budget, but really don't need to get crazy with the cost of things.

Could I get any suggestions/opinions on what I have picked out?

• More about : system build gaming

a b 4 Gaming
    June 8, 2009 6:55:10 PM

That is one of the few Cooler Master PSUs that are decent, but it's a bit overkill. It's also a monster in size and number of non-modular cables.

The board is an excellent crossfire choice, so put a 4890 on it ;)  Then you can add a second if you get the urge. You can't add a second GTX 275 to that board.

Antec Combo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Or get the HAF and a Corsair 850TX:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

June 8, 2009 7:29:58 PM

^+1

That's the best mobo for a AMD2+ socket, a cheap quad-core CPU.

Get a 4890 so you can get another one in 6 months and be set when LCD prices come crashing down this xmas and you pick up a 30" monitor.

If you're going to OC you'll need a CPU cooler and thermal paste.

I'd recommend either Xigmatek Dark Knight or Schythe Mugen 2, and either Arctic Silver 5 or Tuniq TX-2
    Related resources
    June 8, 2009 7:56:20 PM

I like that Antec Combo you gave Proximon. I like that one better than the coolermaster.

opps, i meant to pick the sli board, not the crossfire board. Same specs, just sli :) 

yea, i forgot to add a cpu cooler. i was looking at the dark night.
    June 8, 2009 8:17:01 PM

From Proximon's guide:

Quote:
    nVidia boards
    (750i, 780i, 790i, 980a, etc.)
    I do not recommend any nVidia chipset boards at this time. Not for Intel or AMD builds. Those wishing to SLI should use X58.

Quote:
    Intel x58
    The x58 supports the new i7 quad core CPUs from Intel. x58 boards can support BOTH SLI and crossfire. All x58 boards should support crossfire, and most will likely support SLI. You cannot use an x58 board with older CPUs.

June 8, 2009 9:38:33 PM

Proximon said:
    I don't like the Xigmatek for AMD builds so much. It's a good cooler but it will block two RAM slots.

The Scythe Drunknmunkys referred to lets you mount the fan in any direction, which should help keep the RAM slots free.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have that cooler and the UD4P board, and it blocks 2 slots. It's not a problem if you realize that and don't get strange memory, but its still a beast.
    June 9, 2009 12:50:27 AM

The Core-Contact Freezer is good too. Apparently, the ASUS 980a isn't bad, I haven't tried it myself. I've had no issues with the ASUS 750a.