Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Newb- with new 2500k - want to overclock to 4ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
May 8, 2011 11:28:01 PM

Hey everyone, I just setup my new intel i5-2500k with 4gb of corsair vengeance ram, Asus p8p67 mobo, corsair h50 watercooler, antec 620watt psu, and geforce gtx 560ti graphix.

I want to overclock to 4.0ghz... I'm not really sure why, my computer is fine how it is, plays all my games perfectly and I couldn't ask for more. I guess I just want it to say 4ghz.

Let me know if this is a stupid urge and I should leave it alone.

If this is completely reasonable, please anyone who has the same system setup, let me know step by step instructions to making a safe overclock for my machine~!

I appreciate your comments and help!

By the way, I have never really understood overclocking. I read over the forums guidelines for overclocking and tried to understand most of the terms.

Thanks,

Ben :bounce: 
May 9, 2011 6:16:32 PM

Not a stupid urge. 4.0 ghz is easy. Just follow Leaps' guide and change the multiplier from the stock 37 to 40. With that H50 you should be able to take it to 45 if you want.
Score
Related resources
May 9, 2011 6:19:56 PM

You should be perfectly fine. It took me less than 20 minutes to overclock my brothers news 2500k to 4.5ghz using a Corsair A70. I literally just set the multiplier to 45 and tweaked a few settings as recommended and started stress testing. It never had any freezing or BSODs. Leaps-from-Shadows has linked you to a fantastic guide.
Score

Best solution

a c 224 K Overclocking
May 17, 2011 5:52:28 PM

tacloban said:
Hey everyone, I just setup my new intel i5-2500k with 4gb of corsair vengeance ram, Asus p8p67 mobo, corsair h50 watercooler, antec 620watt psu, and geforce gtx 560ti graphix.

I want to overclock to 4.0ghz... I'm not really sure why, my computer is fine how it is, plays all my games perfectly and I couldn't ask for more. I guess I just want it to say 4ghz.

Let me know if this is a stupid urge and I should leave it alone.

If this is completely reasonable, please anyone who has the same system setup, let me know step by step instructions to making a safe overclock for my machine~!

I appreciate your comments and help!

By the way, I have never really understood overclocking. I read over the forums guidelines for overclocking and tried to understand most of the terms.

Thanks,

Ben :bounce: 

Hi Ben, The most important thing about overclocking is learning what you're doing first then do it, if you try and shortcut the steps to a solid overclock, your stability will be a false illusion that becomes evident at the worst possible time.

Never use someone else's settings, that's why none of my guides have BIOS pictures, even with identical hardware two exact systems will overclock differently, you may be close enough to seem stable but actually far from it.

Quote:

Overclocking is a user responsibility that should already know the answer to that question, why you do it should be the first thing you learn from studying how to do it.

Quote:

Then I suggest you learn first and ask about the terms you do not understand and gain the understanding you need to proceed, for myself I'm pretty much addicted to overclocking, but I've learned what I'm doing, sometimes the hard way with damaged hardware, which is always a possibility.

I'm not a cheerleader for overclocking just to get you to do it, you're smart enough to ask yourself do I really need to overclock if my machine already does everything I need it to do, that's a very smart question, seeing as how you have no overclocking skills to fall back on, answer that for yourself first.

Or your next post could be, "I did everything in the guide as best I could, now my machine is toast! Please Help!"

Ryan

a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2011 6:11:32 PM

4Ryan6 said:
The most important thing about overclocking is learning what you're doing first then do it, if you try and shortcut the steps to a solid overclock, your stability will be a false illusion that becomes evident at the worst possible time.

Wise words there Ry, I inadvertently changed the core ratio in BIOS and got a usable but ultimately unstable 4.4ghz from my 2600k so it's defiantly worth doing your homework first as it took me a little while to work out what I had changed in the first place! :lol: 
Score
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 17, 2011 8:57:53 PM

It helps to keep good notes on your changes and the results they deliver for you, I've lost count at the composition books I've gone through.
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2011 11:13:14 PM

I was just browsing through the BIOS to see what was on offer and the Asus BIOS can now be navigated through with a mouse but I must have scrolled when I had the cursor highlighting that option as I wasn't intending to change anything, on the plus side of course I think this CPU could hit close on 5ghz if a bit more care was taken.
Score
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 18, 2011 10:53:36 AM

What cooling solution are you running Al?

That will be the limiting factor in reaching 5ghz, keeping it cool enough for the Intel not to Thermal Throttle.

You'll discover there's really no need to even consider running 5ghz 24/7 yet, as there's really no software need for it, just bragging rights actually, I run mine at 4.5ghz 24/7, for longevity, temperature and voltage wise.

Our hardware capabilities has long passed the software.
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2011 4:40:50 PM

I thought I'd try the AC Freezer 13 Pro as it was only £30 and it's slightly larger than the Intel one. :whistle: 

The only reason for running it at 5ghz would be for bragging rights yes, when it was running at 4.4ghz the tuboboost would ramp it up to 4.7ghz which had the HDR test in 3D'06 running at over 400fps in places! It was kind of worth it just for that. :lol: 
Score
May 30, 2011 7:02:07 PM

Best answer selected by tacloban.
Score
!