Upgrading from 2x1GB DDR2-400 to 2x2GB DDR2-667 RAM, Vista 32(bit)

Casta85

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hey there,

I'm currently trying to upgrade on my laptop from 2x1GB DDR2-400 to 2x2GB DDR2-667 RAM on windows Vista 32bit.

Having a few issues:

Laptopworks fine with just one of the DDR2-667 2GB sticks in it but if I put both in at the same time it bluescreens after the loading screen. Both sticks work individually in either slot and the computer will run in safe mode with both sticks installed.

Seems pretty strange to me. Could it be a motherboard issue or Vista issue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Maybe board issue.Try to do a bios update.It seems to be old hardware with old bios that can't handle properly 4 gigs of Ram memory. No vista issue.

Casta85

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Thanks,

I had thought about that but I have had a lot of trouble finding out my Motherboard manufacturer and model number. I bought a UK laptop called a Pegasus 670 by a company called 'Rock' but it turns out that laptop was based on a Turkish laptop. The motherboard is made by Vestel I believe but I can't find any type of support for Vestel that isnt in Turkish....

pathasse

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
You need to know some more about the mobo. If its x64 processor then install x64 vista or windows 7 then maybe it will recognize the ram. also try to restart the bios. seeing as you dont know much about the mobo.

good luck

Casta85

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for the advice, but it's not a x64 processor as far as I know. How do you restart the bios on a laptop? Or any computer for that matter. Sorry I'm pretty new at this kind of thing, never really messed with firmware before.

G

Hi, can I ask if you found out any more re the motherboard as mine has thrown it's hand in. I wonder if it's possible to buy a motherboard direct from the Turkish supplier?

Regards,

Dave.