Sign in with
Your question

CD/DVD RW No Longer Reads or Writes Music CD's

Last response: in Storage
February 16, 2011 2:46:37 AM

Hello,

First off let me thank you for any advice that you may be able to provide.

Here are my system specs:

Mainboard: MSI P7n SLI Platinum
Bios.: American Megatrends Inc. v1.2 07/11/2008
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 3.16 GHz
Memory: 4X2 GB DDR2 OCZ PC2-6400
Video: SLI - Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT x2
CD/DVD RW Drive 1: Liteon iHAS424 (purchased 1/2011)
CD/DVD RW Drive 2: Optiarc AD-7200S (purchased 08/2009)

Here is the problem:

I can not completely read music cd's nor burn music cd's. I have tried playing music cd`s using Windows Media Player and Apple iTunes with no success. The first track will begin to play and after roughly 40-50 seconds the player will stop playing and pop the following error message "Windows Media Player cannot read the CD. The disc might be dirty or damaged. Turn on error correction, and then try again." iTunes does not produce any error messages, it simply skips down the playlist of tracks without playing anything. I receive a simmilar result when attempting to rip music tracks using either iTunes, WMP, or FreeRIP; the application skips down the tracks and produces no ripped music files. Both of the CD/DVD RW drives behave in the same fashion.

Here is what I have tried:

I have carried out a clean install of Windows Vista, including re-formatting the hard drive. Before installing any applications or updates I attempted to play a music cd and received the same results as before.

I have verified that I have the most up-to-date drive firmware and also contacted the drive manufacturer to which they replied that it is a Windows problem and they can not offer suggestions on a Microsoft product.

The cd is in perfect condition and plays flawlessly from the same drive when it is installed in another computer.

I do not have a boot CD to test if the drive would work before an OS is loaded.

I have installed applications from CD in the drive and have also burned data cd`s from the drive. I simply cannot read, rip, or burn music cd`s.

I have used the Microsoft auto diagnostic tool and it found no errors testing either the reading or writing capabilities of either drive.

I also deleted the lowerfilters (do not display any upperfilters) string of the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} subkey which was a solution offered by the Microsoft Support site.

After these attempts the problem persists.

Any help you can offer me is most appreciated.

Best Regards,

James Moore
February 16, 2011 4:01:49 AM

Suggestions:

1) Try a different music disk. You said that Vista reinstalled clean, so, perfect or not, something COULD be wrong with the disk itself, especially if it's an RW disk you or a friend burned of the music.
2) Try using a cleaning cd/dvd (one of those disks with the little brushes on them that clean the lens on the drive. Dollar Tree carries them for... a dollar)
3) Try it again, but with an external drive (like, you know one laying around or a friend's. don't go buy one unless the above fails AND this works) If this works, chances are your drive is going the way of the dodo bird. Either get an external or replace the internal.
4) Try getting a copy of Linux and booting it off the disk. The "try it with out installing it" option let's you basically boot it into your ram and run a dumbed down version that way, great as a low-end diagnostic tool. Just eject the Linux disk and try the music again.

Officially, not sure since I used Windows Vista a total of an hour and small change, but it may also just be that the Vista OS updates went the way of the dodo and just don't like your drive anymore. Microsoft put out a patch for XP a few years back that shut down all HP printer drivers for like two days. If the first three don't work, it's either motherboard issue or Vista issue.
!