Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help deciding if I should get this SSD or not...

Last response: in Storage
February 16, 2011 3:25:42 AM

Hi all,

What do you guys think of this deal? I really haven't had the time to do any research on SSD yet as I'm not sure I was going to get one or not.

If I was going to get a SSD, where would this rank value wise from 1-10? 1 being ripoff to 10 being home run, slam dunk, I've never seen such a great deal, must buy!

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $89.99 AR

Thanks,
-TG

More about : deciding ssd

February 16, 2011 3:44:45 AM

TopGun said:
Hi all,

What do you guys think of this deal? I really haven't had the time to do any research on SSD yet as I'm not sure I was going to get one or not.

If I was going to get a SSD, where would this rank value wise from 1-10? 1 being ripoff to 10 being home run, slam dunk, I've never seen such a great deal, must buy!

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $89.99 AR

Thanks,
-TG

OCZ screwed it's recent customers and used slower components in the same drive
so the speed will not be what we paid for!- from the OCZ forum it gave me a migraine

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
February 16, 2011 4:15:25 AM

So, would that be a no vote from you then?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 257 G Storage
February 17, 2011 12:32:00 AM

I am not yet familiar with the OCZ Agility series so I can't comment about that model.

I am cautious about purchasing an OCZ ssd. In a recent survey of hard disk and ssd failure rates and returns, OCZ wound up with the worst record for ssd's. (Intel was the most reliable)

Earlier today I was over at the OCZ web site and forums. OCZ changed from 34nm to 25nm NAND in their Vertex 2 series ssd's without any sort of press release or major announcements. In addition OCZ did not change the model name, product number, or description to reflect the switch. The Vertex 2 is still SATA II (3 Gb/s) too. Seems the ssd's with 25nm NAND are not performing to customer expectations. I got the impression the new 25nm Vertex 2 performed worse than the original 34nm Vertex 2. OCZ may have been first to market with ssd's using 25nm NAND but that's all they can claim. Their customer service is getting slammed too.

Intel is also having problems with 25nm NAND but thy took a different approach. Instead of charging ahead they simply delayed verything until they were able to have production quality 25nm NAND. Their new 510 series ssd's which will be released this month will still use 34nm NAND but the drives will be SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. I guess Intel decided to play it safe.
a b G Storage
February 17, 2011 1:19:12 AM

I have not heard of 25nm NAND in an Agility drive but please correct me if I am wrong and I will edit this immediately.

So, that would make this deal an 8ish. 60GB of 34nm NAND with a sandforce 1222 SSD for $90? Buy. Raid em if you like as sandforce scales well.

If you hate OCZ for using good customers to do their hardware beta testing then act accordingly.
a c 257 G Storage
February 17, 2011 3:37:46 AM

adampower - That is correct. The switch was only made in the Vertex 2. Even though it was only one model series, OCZ's overall ssd failure rate and reliability is at the bottom of the heap. I posted about it in other threads in this forum section.

February 26, 2011 3:05:28 PM

Best answer selected by TopGun.
!