Apple iBook G4

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 7:57:50 PM

Above WRONG MESSEGE from SAMIA

Hello
Any Information on the Apple iBook G4?
How does this sound:
933MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache (at 933MHz)
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 memory
40GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD/CD-RW drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB video memory
56K internal modem
AirPort Extreme ready
Worth Buying?
Thanks
:)
P.S Does it come with wireless internet connection? Can you install
Microsoft Office on it or will you have to buy it separate for the iBook G4?

More about : apple ibook

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 9:02:54 PM

"Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Above WRONG MESSEGE from SAMIA
>
>Hello
>Any Information on the Apple iBook G4?
>How does this sound:

>256MB DDR266 memory

You'll want extra RAM, that's for sure.

>AirPort Extreme ready

This is your wireless connection mechanism -- but you will have to buy
an AirPort Extreme card to install in the iBook (at an extra charge)
and either an AirPort Extreme or other 802.11g wireless router. The
AirPort Extreme is backwards compatible with 802.11b.

>Worth Buying?

Depends on what price you're getting it for. ;-)

>Thanks
>:)
>P.S Does it come with wireless internet connection? Can you install
>Microsoft Office on it or will you have to buy it separate for the iBook G4?

See previous answer about wireless Internet. You will have to buy the
AirPort card and either the Apple AirPort base station or another
802.11g router.

As for MS Office, that's a separate purchase. The iBook comes witth
AppleWorks software, which can read Office files (Word, Excel, etc.)
and also save files into that format. It's a software package that can
do a great deal, but it is not as full-featured as the full Office
suite. AppleWorks might be all you need, though, for word procesing,
spreadsheet, simple databases, etc.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
April 14, 2004 9:05:50 PM

"Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Above WRONG MESSEGE from SAMIA
>
> Hello
> Any Information on the Apple iBook G4?
> How does this sound:
> 933MHz PowerPC G4
> 256K L2 cache (at 933MHz)
> 14-inch TFT Display
> 1024x768 resolution
> 256MB DDR266 memory
> 40GB Ultra ATA drive
> DVD/CD-RW drive
> ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
> 32MB video memory
> 56K internal modem
> AirPort Extreme ready
> Worth Buying?
> Thanks
> :)
> P.S Does it come with wireless internet connection? Can you install
> Microsoft Office on it or will you have to buy it separate for the iBook
G4?

Battery life and processing power are so-so when comaring to Pentium-M. The
screen is better than average but can't compete with Sony's Xbrite.

Wireless card costs $100 extra. And you possibly want to upgrade the memory
to 512MB.

OS X doesn't have hibernation feature. It does have sleep mode but I find it
flicky. It fails a couple of times on me.

It all comes down to whether you need OSX or Windows apps.
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 9:05:51 PM

In article <Obefc.9990$A_4.3281@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

> "Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Above WRONG MESSEGE from SAMIA
> >
> > Hello
> > Any Information on the Apple iBook G4?
> > How does this sound:
> > 933MHz PowerPC G4
> > 256K L2 cache (at 933MHz)
> > 14-inch TFT Display
> > 1024x768 resolution
> > 256MB DDR266 memory
> > 40GB Ultra ATA drive
> > DVD/CD-RW drive
> > ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
> > 32MB video memory
> > 56K internal modem
> > AirPort Extreme ready
> > Worth Buying?
> > Thanks
> > :)
> > P.S Does it come with wireless internet connection? Can you install
> > Microsoft Office on it or will you have to buy it separate for the iBook
> G4?
>
> Battery life and processing power are so-so when comaring to Pentium-M. The
> screen is better than average but can't compete with Sony's Xbrite.
>
> Wireless card costs $100 extra. And you possibly want to upgrade the memory
> to 512MB.

You can often find Airport Extreme cards for $79 or so - either
refurbished or on sale from Apple, Small Dog Electronics (where I got
mine) and others.

I agree you should get as much additional memory as you can.

> OS X doesn't have hibernation feature. It does have sleep mode but I find it
> flicky. It fails a couple of times on me.

When you close the lid, the machine goes to sleep. When you open the
lid, it wakes up in about 1 second, and things are just where you left
off. It works way better than any PC laptop I have seen. And I have
never seen it fail on my Powerbook.

> It all comes down to whether you need OSX or Windows apps.

Bob B.
April 14, 2004 9:09:38 PM

Almost forgot, the iBook doesn't have PC Card slot. I use it often to
transfer pix from camera to PC.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 9:09:39 PM

In article <mfefc.10000$A_4.3595@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

> Almost forgot, the iBook doesn't have PC Card slot. I use it often to
> transfer pix from camera to PC.

To transfer pictures to a iBook, if your camera doesn't have firewire or
USB, you can use a memory card adapter which automatically mounts as a
device on the OS X desktop. And of course the iBook comes with software
which will popup and allow you to import/edit/organize your photos when
you mount the memory card.

Bob B.
April 15, 2004 2:47:41 AM

"Bob B." <bobinnv@charter.net> wrote in message
> In article <mfefc.10000$A_4.3595@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
> > Almost forgot, the iBook doesn't have PC Card slot. I use it often to
> > transfer pix from camera to PC.
>
> To transfer pictures to a iBook, if your camera doesn't have firewire or
> USB, you can use a memory card adapter which automatically mounts as a
> device on the OS X desktop. And of course the iBook comes with software
> which will popup and allow you to import/edit/organize your photos when
> you mount the memory card.
>
> Bob B.

Transferring pictures from CF card is one of the examples of the convenience
use of PC Card slot but the lack of it hinder it's expandability.

Nevertheless, the price of the 14" ibook isn't that great. The entry level
12" ibook is cheap though.
!