Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Making my first Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 8, 2009 9:54:44 PM

Hi, I need help from hardware pros. I'm trying to make a Gaming Rig (1,500 Dollar budget) and I already had the lists.

My current budget is 1.5 (Current money is 1.3k USD) I'm trying to make my rig a little cheaper.

Here's what I'm going to buy:

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail

Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

steelseries Experience I-2 53002SS Mouse Pad - Black - OEM

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I'm still confused on what to get for the antec because there's one Mid tower (cheaper) and a full tower (lil expensive). They both have good fans but I'm curious if everything will fit in the case. I read some reviews on the Antec (900) Mid tower that some GPU hardly fit and for Full towers, there might be some trouble about the wire length.

My current Budget atm is 1.5k and I already bought my processor which is Intel I7 Nehalem 2.66ghz Quad Core

Please tell me which should I get or not get "especially on the Towers, I'm really confused on Full/Mid Towers"

PS: I'm not getting a SSD ATM. I'll get one when I have extra money.

More about : making gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2009 12:23:59 AM

Ok, I'l copy and paste a build I posted on another thread, and you can pick and choose parts out of that if you like.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 Free Shipping*
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $119.99 ($109.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U4P $224.99 | $209.99 after rebate
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CorssFireX & 3-Way SLI/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

https://www.antaresdigital.com/customer/product.php?pro..." $ 280.00
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Socket 8MB Cache CPU D0 Stepping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $39.99
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $4.99
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 ($219.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Free Cryostasis game w/ registration at manufacturer website

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $94.99 Free Shipping*
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 Free Shipping*
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $24.99
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM

Total: $1,100.91 | $1,055.91 w/mail in rebates

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.... <--- Save yourself some money on an o/s until March 2010 and dl the 64 bit version of Windows 7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <--- more pics, specs, and customer reviews of that Gigabyte UD4P mobo used in this build

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=584 <---short review on that D0 stepping i7. It runs cooler than the older C0 stepping i7's

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta... <--- that's one way you can tell if you have a D0 stepping cpu or not
June 9, 2009 12:42:42 AM

oo.. I just noticed why it's 1.1k .. it doesn't have mouse/pad/keyboard/monitor but.. thanks you so much. I'm still getting the full tower of antec, but I'll change my mobo from EVGA to The GIGA you suggested. and uhm.. About G.skill.. G.skill is cheaper than corsair.. my hardcore gamer cousin suggest to get corsair..... but I really don't know what's the difference. I have a G.skill atm and It's awesome and never died at me for almost a year.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2009 12:46:22 AM

johnkx said:
oo.. I just noticed why it's 1.1k .. it doesn't have mouse/pad/keyboard/monitor but.. thanks you so much. I'm still getting the full tower of antec, but I'll change my mobo from EVGA to The GIGA you suggested. and uhm.. About G.skill.. G.skill is cheaper than corsair.. my hardcore gamer cousin suggest to get corsair..... but I really don't know what's the difference. I have a G.skill atm and It's awesome and never died at me for almost a year.


That build there will allow you to o/c to the 3.8GHz or higher range....and 3.4 - 3.8 is the sweet spot for fps in games. Two best makers of memory in my opinion is Mushkin and G.SKILL...always solid, and unlike some OCZ and a few others, you don't have to volt the sh*t out of it to get it to it's rated timings.
June 9, 2009 12:55:13 AM

Why_Me said:
That build there will allow you to o/c to the 3.8GHz or higher range....and 3.4 - 3.8 is the sweet spot for fps in games. Two best makers of memory in my opinion is Mushkin and G.SKILL...always solid, and unlike some OCZ and a few others, you don't have to volt the sh*t out of it to get it to it's rated timings.



woah.. 3.8ghz.. awesome.. >.< So... I'm guessing that everything will fit inside from this build?

PS: The Samsung driver is out of stock.
June 9, 2009 2:17:36 AM

Why_Me said:
Nice choices on both :)  That card rocks.

awesome.. makes everything a lot cheaper than before!

but.. what should I get? Should I get the GPU that you suggested.. or GTX 260?
a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2009 2:23:28 AM

johnkx said:
awesome.. makes everything a lot cheaper than before!

but.. what should I get? Should I get the GPU that you suggested.. or GTX 260?


If your going to use a single gpu...I would say the 275, if you plan on going SLI sooner than later, then the 260 would be the way to go. There again it depends on what games you play.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,226... <--- gtx 275, 260, etc... charts


June 9, 2009 2:33:44 AM

Oh cool. I guess I'm getting the 275 then.. uhm. last question (I think ) I've read the reviews and it says that the IHD (westen 1tb) doesn't have a sata cable and the PSU (Corsair 750w) doesn't have a 8 pin... should I include them on my list?
a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2009 2:36:40 AM

johnkx said:
Oh cool. I guess I'm getting the 275 then.. uhm. last question (I think ) I've read the reviews and it says that the IHD (westen 1tb) doesn't have a sata cable and the PSU (Corsair 750w) doesn't have a 8 pin... should I include them on my list?


That Corsair does come with an 8 pin. Also the mobo comes with two SATA cables/connectors so your good to go there.

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
8 x peripheral
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E
June 9, 2009 2:41:16 AM

Why_Me said:
That Corsair does come with an 8 pin. Also the mobo comes with two SATA cables/connectors so your good to go there.

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
8 x peripheral
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E


Wow... Awesome! Thank you so much!!!
June 10, 2009 4:38:33 PM

About the Dark Knight fan.. should I use it as a heatsink or a fan? because intel i7 already has a heatsink included.
!