amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Got two of those installed in my rig: http://www.corsair.com/memory/industry-standard/ddr3/cmv4gx3m1a1333c9.html

Rated speed is 1333 MHz... If I change that to 1600 MHz in BIOS, everything goes fine, if I try higher (1866, etc.) - the PC reboots a few times, then reports that overclocking has failed. Not that I really need it, but I'm just curious: is it possible to push it to 1866 MHz through voltage tweaks/timing changes/any other means? What would be the advantage over stock speed?

Also, what's the advantage of a 1333 MHz Dominator or Vengeance stick over this "standard" one? As long as it comes to RAM and its features, I don't know much, so any help will be greatly appreciated =)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
What exactly are these timings things, anyway, if you care to explain? What would be the practical advantage that I'll see from higher frequencies?

"It means the maximum RAM in 1600, is not if the OC via Bclk automatic ram will go up ..?" - I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand this one (sentence structure) =)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Keep in mind that your kit is rated to run at DDR1333, aka 667MHz. When you OC, you are far exceeding the specification of both the memory and the memory controller so you can get instability. 1600 is a nice OC for inexpensive 1333. I seriously doubt you'll get it to run much if any faster than that.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Well, no instability so far =) Doesn't even heat up more than usual. Anyway, I've figured that my board has this little stability check on POST, and if it doesn't succeed - it reboots a few times and resets the BIOS (OC-related stuff only). So that happens with anything higher than 1600.

My main question is, however, what is the advantage of 4GB Dominator/Vengeance stick over 4GB normal stick? Both DDR3, both Corsair, both running at 1333 MHz? Just the looks or...? =)