Radeon HD 4890 compatibility with Samsung t240hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aral Fayle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Over the next few days im ordering the parts for the desktop I'm building. While reading the reviews for the monitor i want, the Samsung t240hd I came across some posts saying that ATI cards are not compatible with the monitor (the 4850 and 4870 were the ones mentioned). More specifically the monitor will not accept dvi input from the cards, so instead you need to use HDMI.

So I was just trying to find out if anyone knows if its simply an isolated problem? Or if the 4890 is new enough that it will not be an issue? Also if I end up needing to go the HDMI route is there really any difference in picture quality/function?

Any insight into this would be a great help.

Yes, seen that before.
I would either go Nvidia or change the monitor-if you have not already bought it.
There is no reason to saddle yourself with potential problems before the new rig is even built!

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Are you using the speakers on that monitor????
I am going to assume that you are not since you do not want to use the HDMI input.

If you arent using the build in speakers or HDMI the samsung 2443bwx uses the same LCD panel and can be had for cheaper because of the lack of those 2 features.

*edit* the 2443bwx also works with ati 48xx series, i can attest to that firsthand.

Aral Fayle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I was planning on using the speakers on the monitor, at least until I decide to invest in a decent set of speakers.

I'm pretty technologically challenged when it comes to tvs/monitors and what HDMI and DVI do. So its not that i don't want to use the HDMI input, its that i don't really know what it means by using it rather than the DVI.

Monitor wise all I wanted was to be able to have a monitor and tv in one, and also being able to play my wii on it. My friend found the t240hd and suggested it because its 1080p and all that stuff.

jbd2553

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Just a note to this subject.

After doing alot of research, I was able to find somewhere through Google search. In order to get 1920x1200 you will need to make sure they are connected using a "DVI-D" cable instead of the "DVI" cable. (Not sure why Samsung does not put the correct cable in the box) or by using the "HDMI"

I purchased the Samsung 2243SWX which is rated at 1920 x 1080, along with a Diamond HD4670. Connected using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. I had problems geting the monitor and card to work together. I did get them to work by using "Force" in the "Display Properties" of Catalyst.

I have since returned both monitor and video card, purchased a ATI HD4870 and waiting on my T240HD from Newegg.

Check this out about the "DVI-D" cable.
http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-d-dual-link-digital-cable.html

Hope this helped. It is an easy fix to the problem, with no chance of damage to the monitor or video card as the way I got it to work...

05rai17

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

I just wanted to know if everything turn alright with your rig? if ati 4870 works with samsung 240hd dvi port, thanks!

sopranomom

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I'm also curious. As it happens, I've been running a Samsung T240HD on a Radeon HD 4670 under Vista (ugh) via HDMI for about a year now, no problem. I am about to go to Windows 7 with a dual boot to Linux, THERE, I understand I may have some problems from the Linux side and monitor resolution, and would love to hear any advice.

PS - also have a Wii and an OTA digital antenna running through the TV side of the monitor - works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.