SSD vs SSD Video comparisons?

staind

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
There is plenty of ssd vs hdd videos on youtube and other websites etc.. But I have yet to see any SSD vs SSD videos. I know on www.anandtech.com you can compare ssds vs each other and see the stats. Does anyone know of any such videos?

And also my main question is, Will the average person notice a difference between an Intel X-25m 250read/100write vs say 400read/300write. I know the write will be noticeable for people that do a lot of stuff with their computer that utilizes the write part of the SSD.

But basically I'm debating on getting the Intel X-25m 120gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167035&cm_re=intel_ssd-_-20-167-035-_-Product

Or waiting for the new 510 series with faster read/writes. I will just be using the SSD for my OS, a few games and just general applications, no video editing or anything like that.

Is there any point to wait? And will i notice a difference between 250 read and 400? Because I really want that Intel drive haha, good performance and most reliable. Thanks for the info guys!

Solution
Yes, there should be an improvement with real world software.

You mentioned Anandtech. Have you looked as his real world benchmarks? Anand uses a light load, a havy load, and a gaming load. Each storage bench load consists of actual software instead of synthetic benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.chttp://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65om/bench/SSD/65

Sometimes you'll see little cartoon or caption bubbles. If you place your mouse cursor on one of those Anand provides addtional information about the pc system used or the actual software he used. His storage bench tests include typical multitasking.
Nope! Like yourself the only ones I've seen compared hard disk drives to solid state drives.

The comparison charts at AnandTech are probably your best option.

There have been technical problems making the switch from from Generation 2 (G2) to Generation 3 (G3). The new G3 drives will be using new 25nm NAND instead of the current 34nm NAND. However, there are technical problems. It may be a while before production quality 25nm NAND becomes available.

OCZ was the first to market. Recently they switched from 34nm NAND to 25nm NAND in their Vertex 2 ssd's. The drives did not meet customer expectations. Quite a bit of flak over at the OCZ web site and OCZ forum. OCZ custiomer support is also getting slammed.

The new Intel 510 series ssd's that will be released for sale this month will still use 34nm NAND but the ssd's will be SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. Their performance should be improved when compared to the current X-25M. I don't know how much of an improvement we will see.

Based on the results of a survey that was published the current Intel ssd's are more reliabl than the OCZ ssd's. Actually it appears as if just about any ssd is more reliable than OCZ.

staind

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Some good info =) But basically, I just want to know real world performance. Will I really notice a difference between the 250/read vs 400 read in just having it as a Boot drive with some games and general applications? I know it cant be answered comparing drives that Aren't released yet but there is faster read speed SSDS out already.

Yes, there should be an improvement with real world software.

You mentioned Anandtech. Have you looked as his real world benchmarks? Anand uses a light load, a havy load, and a gaming load. Each storage bench load consists of actual software instead of synthetic benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.chttp://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65om/bench/SSD/65

Sometimes you'll see little cartoon or caption bubbles. If you place your mouse cursor on one of those Anand provides addtional information about the pc system used or the actual software he used. His storage bench tests include typical multitasking.

Solution

Depends.

If you are running benchmarks and using that as basic of your comparison, you will see noticeable differences. In "real life", much less so. The best comparison I can give is :

I have 5 cars in my driveway, what car gets you to work faster ?

Jeep Cherokee
Dodge Intrepid
Jeep Wagoneer
GMC Envoy
Porche 930

Trick answer, all the same.....they all go faster than the speed limit / traffic allow.

In computer usage terms .... I printed out a draft report I wrote and marked it up w/ revisions.

Option 1: I open the program and stare at the screen until the program opens, then do the same while it loads the file. I then peruse the report looking for my 1st edit.

Option 2: I open the program and start reviewing my edits, while program and file loads.

If you use option 2, the fact that it took 6 seconds to load the program and the file on the HD versus 3 seconds off the SSD, really doesn't change your productivity. Same with booting .... I boot my lappie upon arrival at office and while it's loading, I peruse my phone messages......no matter f it's the SSD lappie or the HD lappie, both are done before I have finished reviewing my messages.

OTOH, when I'm working in AutoCAD or a GFX pro s working on a large photoshop file doing heavy manipulations of the file, then storage speed becomes very significant. Like many other cases, the answer is "it depends on what you are doing".