Sign in with
Your question

Ssd max USABLE space for various controllers/capacity

Last response: in Storage
February 16, 2011 2:41:43 PM

Hello-

First, I'm not yet that knowledgeable about SSD's or computer builds in general...
I'm deciding if I want to fit an SSD into my build's budget (and how large I'll need to go), but would like some help figuring out ACTUAL Useable Max Space on various mfr/controllers and advertised capacities... Can anyone help with figuring out or point toward any charts with figures?

Need to know exactly how much usable space I'll have - so need to factor in anything that will effect how much space I'm able to work with (if I'm incorrect in certain factors or missed any let me know) for example:
A) MFR/Controller ie: don't have external on board cache (uses storage capacity -?SandForce?)
B) Formatted Size
C) Performance degrades if capacity filled over 80%(?)-> figure 20% off capacity left after A&B accounted for
*D) RAID 0 - lose x capacity (from above considerations) on EACH drive???

Thanks if anyone can help out in figuring...
a b G Storage
February 16, 2011 4:08:28 PM

Hi.

1- What are the rig's components?
2- You can go with SF for killer write performance or with Crucial for killer red performance, I prefer 2nd one because you read 90% of time.
3- I bought a C300 64GB, available for use 59GB, current free space 15GB
4- If you use TRIM, the performance will not drop unless that you disable it.
5- RAID 0 gives you excellent performance, but RAID 0 don't support TRIM. So, you will have a lot of garbage unless that you use the Vertex 2 that has garbage collector.
m
l
February 18, 2011 12:11:49 AM

any approx capacity figures anyone?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 18, 2011 3:19:19 AM

SSDs are best used as a boot drive with only Windows and your most-used programs/games on them. A traditional platter hard drive is basically required for data and infrequently-used (but still necessary) programs.

Other than that, some settings changes for SSDs:
1. Disable automatic indexing
2. Disable defragging
3. Disable System Restore
4. Disable Hibernation
5. Move Temp and tmp folders to a different drive
6. Move user folders (My Documents, Downloads, My Videos, etc.) to a different drive

As far as claimed capacity versus usable capacity goes, I'd figure on 10-20% not being usable (formatting, reserved for cache, etc.).
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
February 18, 2011 10:30:47 AM

The maximum available storage capacity varies quite a bit. The raw capacity and the available capacity can vary anywhere from 8% to as high as 29%. it depends on the configuration. Currently there are 274 different ssd's offered at newegg.com. The majority of specifications do not identify the controller. I do not know of any list or chart depicting maximum available capacity.
m
l
!