2 hard drives

coolbreeze8

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I would like to install a second hard drive, my mother board supports both IDE an SATA, the second hard drive is IDE with XP pro installed, I had it hook up as a slave with the jumper, an on the ribbon cable, with no luck, I'm a noob not sure if this is possible

Thank you
Dewey

coolbreeze8

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

the hard drive came out of an old gateway, it was the only hard drive, an the jumper was hook up, I should set up as a single,an re boot, what could I expect, I would like my computer to boot up with my SATA hard drive with Vista, an use my IDE hard drive for extra storage, an second OS

Thank you for your time

Dewey :sol:
[The older I get the faster I used to be]

Your computer will still boot off the current drive. If you have the exact make/model of the drive we can probably tell you the exact jumper settings if needed. If there is no "single" mode for the drive, then try "master".

As for dual booting, that may be harder to do since you already have two OS's installed. Normally you would have a drive with an older OS, like XP, then install a newer OS, like vista or Win7. Installing a new OS with an older one in the system will create a boot loader with each OS as a boot option.

coolbreeze8

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

Thanks for the help, I'll have to get HD info a little later, off to shovel snow

coolbreeze8

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

Thank you, I'm glad I found this forum

Dewey :sol: