Solved

I5-750, heatsinks, and overclocking, or i7-860

Hi, I'm a medium to low hardware technical knowledge guy here,

I'm thinking of building a new rig and obviously the $200 price tag of the i5-750 is attractive. If I do get this processor, I would want to OC it a bit, but apparently Lynnfield has trouble overclocking much with the stock heatsink.

I tried looking up some reviews for some HSFs, but since it's so new it's hard to find any review for 1156 compatible HSFs. Anyone know a good heatsink?

Secondly, I see some heatsinks selling anywhere from $20 to $80+, if I am paying that price for a nice fan, wouldn't it be better just to buy the i7-860 then, it's only $90 more.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about heatsinks overclocking
  1. Best answer
    I'm missing the point - why wouldn't you need a good cooler for i7-860?

Anyhow, no real reviews yet. But here's a thought: this EVGA mobo has holes for 775 heatsinks/coolers:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/804/4

maybe some others you like do as well.
  2. Yeah true I'd need a cooler if I get any processor huh, damn, time to bust my piggy bank
  3. Wow genius EVGA, I will buy that mobo then. I was looking at the ASUS P7P55 one.
  4. How about this Question then?

Should I buy:

i5-750 with a good fan, reasonable overclock

or

i7-860 keep the stock fan, just a bit overclock?
  5. That's a bit like asking should I buy a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup lol. Depends on what you'll be carrying.

If you are trying to keep to the "same" total $ . . . you really should consider the whole system, and where the tradeoffs really need to be made.

For example, you might be better going i750, stock cooler, better vid card . . . and buying a good cooler next year.
  6. Oh ok. Well to be honest, I am thinking of splurging with crossfire'd 4870's. Wonder if the 750 will be the bottleneck? I have it all laid out in my newegg cart, lol, but since I'm a hardware noob, not sure if its a good balance.
  7. Lower than "expected" fps from xfire or sli is possible because of throttling data from the vid cards, but not because of cpu processing power.

Dunno what resolution you are running, but at 1920 one 4870 should be enough, and the 5xxx gen coming out next month should have single cards 2x as fast. No worry about 750 throttling that single card.
  8. Oh, maybe I should just wait then. Are new gens usually really expensive, or do they release them in tiers, like one high end, and hopefully one around $200-300?
  9. Sweet!! I'm so glad I didn't buy yet :D Hopefully the 5850 IS $299. That would be a similiar price to crossfired 4870's and get the full x16 PCIExpress lane (whatever that means lol)
  10. 16 paths to move the data from *one* card to where it has to go, so a higher data rate (more pixels if you will) is available to support a higher frame rate.

(When these cpus are driving xfire/sli, there would be two cards, each only having 8 lanes, or half the data rate a single card would get. If the cards are fast enough, the data rate starts to limit you instead of your graphics cards.)
  11. True that Twoboxer. 8x for each card when in Crossfire/SLI, probably best to go with single card (4890 or 4870x2, maybe), where you get the 16x transfer.

Read this article. ESPECIALLY the conclusion. What resolution will you actually be using in-game?
  12. Okay... well I've decided to use the i5-750, since it's the same as the 860 w/o hyperthreading (which doesn't matter in games for now). My monitor will be 1920x1080 or something. As for the video card I will wait until the 5850 comes out, and get a single. Also for the fan, I am getting the 1156 compatible coolermaster at newegg for $29.99
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Heatsinks Intel i5 Product