Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake SpinQ VT a Good fan or should i get another?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 10, 2011 12:45:33 AM

I am ready to build my new PC and have bought some time ago Thermaltake spinQ VT

this is my PC:
HAF-X with i7 2600k on a Asrock fatal1ty P67, G.skill 2x4gb ripjaws X mem, asus xonar essence stx, 1 Crucial SSD, 1 tb WD black caviar HDD (will get another one) , Corsair 850hx running windows 7 Pro 64 bits

My Case fans:
1 front fan 230mm intake
1 side fan 200mm coolermaster megaflow red intake
1 Rear fan 120mm Thermaltake cyclo pattern to blow out air
2 top fans 200mm coolermaster megaflow red to blow out air
Will be using pc mostly for gaming Crysis2, mass efect 2 , dead space 2 etc, wow, blueray movies , netbrowsing etc...

Ok now about thermaltake spinQ VT
I have a Lamptron FC6 fan controller and will hook up all of the case Fans to it
The side fan and 1 top fan will share channel using a Y cable.

Now, I see no meantion of thermaltake spinq VT compatible with 1155 only 1156 will it still work for 1155?
I been told to conect the fan to the Motherboard 4 pin not CPU and let it run at 100% full speed all the time
this is because this fan has no PWM , is this correct?
(the only other option i have is take it through the fan controller but is not so recomended to do)

So should i just cash out some more money for another fan condiering i already paid a lot of money on this PC already
i just want to get ready and start mounting it.

I have been recomended by some people to just use the spinq VT since i already bought it and cannot change it , then if i get temperature problem i can always buy another later
Is this a Wise decision or should i get a new Asap before building it?

As for a alternative which would be good in my situation?

My options so far are:

Prolimatech Megahalem + Gentle Typhoon 1850 fans (or lower rpm)
Zalman 9900 Red max

So i Need some answers please to:

1. Should Thermaltake spinQ VT work with 1155 even if it does not show is compatible closest i see is 1156 is it equal?
2. Will i be fine conecting spinq VT to the motherboard instead of cpu and let it run 100% 24 hours a day?
or should it be conected to the CPU instead? (little confused here between conect it to cpu and motherboard )

3. If is higly recomended i not use the SpinQ Vt in my situation since I not get PWM cause is a 3 pin fan
and need be 4 pin to conect to motherboard to controll it without fan controller
Should i get another fan then instead?

4. If i decide to go for Megahalem is it Highly recomended i go for the Gentle typhon fan and forget about led fans
or will i be okey putting a Thermaltake cyclo pattern or any other led fan on megahalem?
(i already have nice thermaltake Cyclo pattern fan 120mm in rear for the beauty of it)

5. What fan is best between Zalman 9900 Max Red vs Thermaltake spinq VT ?

6. And between Zalman 9900 max red vs Megahalem+ gentle typhon or cyclo pattern fans?

7. I read somewhere spinQ VT would whirl hot air all around my pc and that increase temperature is that fan realy that bad?
or was i reading someone that was blowing things out of proportions?

8. I have a lot of humidity and dust in my house since i live in a top floor in a industrial zone
i heard cobber get green from humidity will HAF-X still protect cobber fans from getting green
Will Zalman 9900 max red easy get green and ugly because of the humidity in my apartment?

9. Are both Megahalem w/gentle typhon, megahalem w/thermaltake cyclo pattern fans and Zalman 9900 Max PWM fans?
do they all are 4 pins PWM so i can make the motherboard controll them acording to the use i do on my pc.
(unlike spinQ vT that in my case has 3 pin and would run 100% all the time if conected to motherboard)

I dont have much experience with cooling is the first time i go for a Desktop pc after years on laptop
i have had desktop pc before but that was very long ago...

I realy hope someone could be nice and help me i realy apreciate it.
if my english is not so good i apoligize.

a c 280 K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 1:57:16 PM

Hi.

1- 1156 and 1155 are the same die size, the difference is the architecture, so, should work without problems, but I suggest you contact to Thermaltke and ask them.
2- That depends of you, the Thermaltake fans are a little loud, so, I'd go with a fan controller better.
3- If you want control the fan, then, yeah, you need a 4-pin fan.
4- The Megahalems is a very good cooler and the Typhoon 1850rpm (AP-15) are the best fans out there, low noise and good CFM.
5- Why not go with other options? Thermalright Archon, Siler Arrow or NH-D14 are much better.
6- Gentle Typhoon AP-14 or AP-15 are the best
7- If you install the cooler in the proper way, you should not have any problem.
8- Should not be a problem, since the humidity isn't as high as the fan and components needs to show problems.
9- Check the specs of all fans, the Typhoon comes with 3-pin to 4-pin adapter.

If you have more question let me know.
May 10, 2011 2:10:19 PM

Yep been considering this now
specially the Silver arrow

But there is a problem look at this picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/ngahchye/IMG_011...

This is the clearende between Silver arrow and G.skill ripjaws X which is the ram i have
So should i avoid silver arrow because of this?

As for Noctua14 i read the clearence is a bit better but those fans look more ugly
silver arrow look way better.

The best fan/hitsink out there would this be correct?:
Noctua14>Silver arrow+>prolimatech Megahalem+scythe gentle typhon>Zalman 9900 max red or blue

1912770,2,403028 said:
Hi.
5- Why not go with other options? Thermalright Archon, Siler Arrow or NH-D14 are much better.
Related resources
a c 280 K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 2:41:35 PM

My preference for air cooler are this:

Archon>Silver Arrow>NH-D14

The NH-D14 gives you more clearance and performs very good too. You have 2x4GB RAM kit, so, why not move the RAM to the other two RAM slots and install the cooler?
May 11, 2011 1:36:51 AM

Thanks , Ok so if i m,ove the ram on the other ram slots i have no problems if i want the silver arrow?
a c 182 K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 3:34:39 AM

There is absolutely no reason to buy a $60+ cooler for a SB cpu imo.
They run much cooler then the previous i3,i5,i7 gen cpu's.
The SpinQ VT is not a very good cooler considering how much it cost.
Push-pin mount and non-replaceable fan doesn't really deliver value.
Any one of these coolers can cool a 2600K no problem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
a c 280 K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 4:27:03 AM

Gilgamesh9 said:
Thanks , Ok so if i m,ove the ram on the other ram slots i have no problems if i want the silver arrow?

Yeah you won't have any problem with RAM in the other slots and cooler installed.

The Zalman Performa recommended by davcon is a good cooler too.
May 11, 2011 12:38:49 PM

Yea but Davcon i already bought the spinq VT and now i am considering if buy another better
May 11, 2011 12:43:51 PM

OK guys Right now i am about to To put the Spinq VT under my bed
And instead get either Prolimatech megahalem or silver arrow.
I know Noctua is amongst the best but i am not so sure i want those ugly fans
and noctua with another fans is not realy worth it right?

So...then i think most about megahalem or Silver arrow
Then for fans i have some of theese in mind
which would be best for either megahalem or silver arrow:

Scythe gentle typhon by nidec
Be quiet Silentwind
Enermax Magma
Prolimatech vortex red

Only one i would have harder to get in my area would be enermax

a c 280 K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 1:27:01 PM

Noctua NH-D14 and Silver Arrow performs pretty similar, so, not problem on that.

Regarding the fans, you can change the NH-D14 fans, but that add more price to the final cooler's cost and I think that isn't a good idea.

For fans, I'd go in this order:

Genlte Typhoon AP-14 or AP-15>Yate loon (not remember the specific model)>Delta fans (expensive, but excellent)
a c 182 K Overclocking
May 12, 2011 3:57:16 AM

Gilgamesh9 said:
OK guys Right now i am about to To put the Spinq VT under my bed
And instead get either Prolimatech megahalem or silver arrow.
I know Noctua is amongst the best but i am not so sure i want those ugly fans
and noctua with another fans is not realy worth it right?

So...then i think most about megahalem or Silver arrow
Then for fans i have some of theese in mind
which would be best for either megahalem or silver arrow:

Scythe gentle typhon by nidec
Be quiet Silentwind
Enermax Magma
Prolimatech vortex red

Only one i would have harder to get in my area would be enermax

The TR SA comes with the best 140mm on the market the TY-140,no need to buy fans.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/140mm-...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
May 12, 2011 9:04:53 AM

Ok then If i go with silver arrow or Noctua i use the fans that comes with them
now if i go for Megahalem+typhon fans is the 1450rpm suffice if i let the mobo control the fans or should i go 1850rpm or 1150 instead?

Btw, how is the Prolimatech Super mega I was just told they are better than megahalem is that true, are they as smale as megahalem or bigger like SA/noctua?
!