Your question
Solved

Athlon II X2 255 3.1GHz?

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 10, 2011 2:35:54 AM

I have The Said CPU and have never OC'd before. what would be the highest oc and the safest oc?

Asus A486 Pro/Usb 3.0 2600 fsb

patriot 4gb ddr3 1600/1333/1220?

500 gb hdd 32mb cache

ultra 550 watt psu

also how high could i get (lol)....if i air cooled or water cooled?
i am open to suggestions

More about : athlon 255 1ghz

Best solution

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 2:56:17 AM

Jnasty_69 said:
I have The Said CPU and have never OC'd before. what would be the highest oc and the safest oc?

500 gb hdd 32mb cache

ultra 550 watt psu

i am open to suggestions

Cooling will definitely determine your max OC. It's easier with the unlocked multi, but most Phenom II CPU's will hit 3.8 on air. Some of the higher clocked quads like the 970/980 will get to 4.2Ghz, but I think that's under ideal conditions, a one shot at ridiculous voltages, and with a 890FX motherboard.

I have run my X4 940 at 3.6 Ghz with no issues for over a year. Now I have backed down to a 3.4 Ghz day to day OC that is very stable. The old gal is a couple of years old now and sooon to be put to pasture..

I ran with a Thermalright ultra 120 HSF for a couple years. I recently switched to a Spire Thermax Eclipse II, which is highly regarded but I can't recommend this due to the God-awful fan retention system, by far the worst I've ever encountered. I think I had better results with the TRU, but that had a second fan in push pull.

I would not waste my time and effort (read money) on a water cooling solution for a $100 dual core CPU. My advice is to throw a nice, mainstream cooler like the coolermaster Hyper 212 + on there for now and look at more exotic solutions down the road if you upgrade to a i5 or bulldozer CPU.

I believe you could sustain a 3.6 Ghz overclock with that motherboard and a hyper 212. Also at issue will be your case cooling, ambient room temp, etc.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 2:57:32 AM

Oh yeah, check www.frostytech.com for the latest in CPU cooling.
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2011 3:18:20 PM

Best answer selected by JNasty_69.
m
l
May 10, 2011 3:24:24 PM

thank you for your help. i actually just heard the same thing from my friend. he said that my board could sustain the oc. i wasnt going to water cool untill my next system and i was thinking of upgradeing my stock fan to a thermaltake spin-q (blue) heatsink. i also have maximum airflow in my chassis.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 7:45:02 PM

Jnasty_69 said:
thank you for your help. i actually just heard the same thing from my friend. he said that my board could sustain the oc. i wasnt going to water cool untill my next system and i was thinking of upgradeing my stock fan to a thermaltake spin-q (blue) heatsink. i also have maximum airflow in my chassis.

NP. GL
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2011 2:53:43 PM

Jnasty_69 said:

500 gb hdd 32mb cache

ultra 550 watt psu

i am open to suggestions

Enter the BIOS

Set your RAMs ratio at 533/1066

Set your vcore to 1.3875v

Drop your HT link speed 2 notches -- 8x or 1600MHz

Drop your CPU multiplier to 15x

Set your NB volts to 1.1875v (or 1.2v if you so choose)

And finally, raise the system clock to 250MHz, F10 save & exit, and see if she'll boot.

Test at load for temps and stability. I don't think you will have any problems but things might get toasty with the stock cooler. Not to worry.

The max spec temps for the 255 is 74c (I doubt you will come anywhere close to that at 1.3875v)

What are your RAM specs (I'm confused)? Do you have DDR3 1600? With these settings you will be running 5.33x250MHz, or 1333MHz.

You've got all types of headroom to go higher with few adjustments - the easiest would be simply returning the CPU multiplier to stock 15.5. Max spec volts for the 255 are 1.425v but remember ... the more volts you crank the more difficult it will be to control your temps.

If you wish to go higher using the system clock I would suggest (initially, anyway) bumping your CPU volts, dropping the NB multiplier back to x9/1800MHz, and bumping the NB volts to 1.2125v (some folks go as high as 1.3v but remember, higher volts bring higher temps)

15x260MHz should be no problem with adequate cooling, but your RAMs will be running 1386MHz (not an issue if you have DDR3 1600) .... 15.5x260MHz will get you beyond the 4GHz 'Promise Land' (might take all of that 1.425v)

Good Luck!
m
l
May 14, 2011 4:18:15 PM

thanks those are some great specs. you see the potential i have. this is all new to me. I really am thinking about getting a thermaltake spinQ cpu cooler cause i heard its design will aslo cool the ram memmory significantly. But i was also thinking about going as far to insulate my board as well. would that keep my board cool if i shoot past "the 4GHz promiseland"?lol
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2011 7:28:03 PM

Jnasty_69 said:
thanks those are some great specs. you see the potential i have. this is all new to me. I really am thinking about getting a thermaltake spinQ cpu cooler cause i heard its design will aslo cool the ram memmory significantly. But i was also thinking about going as far to insulate my board as well. would that keep my board cool if i shoot past "the 4GHz promiseland"?lol

If you aren't running the ram too fast or with too much voltage, the ramsinks should handle the heat fine. I guess the thermaltake spin Q is a decent enough cooler, but there are far better ones:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

If I'm spending 50 bucks on a cooler, I want one of the top rated ones so I can achieve the best overclock. The highest rates coolers will also be the ones that cool your chipset the best, which is more important than cooling your ram. You could always buy a fan for your ram if it is really an issue.

I have not heard of folks insulating their motherboard except for LN2 and the like. Cooling a CPU below ambient temps you risk cooling the moisture in the air so much that it condenses on your motherboard. I'm not sure what you're planning on insulating, but in the case of air cooling anything that restricts air flow to the components is a bad idea.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2011 11:37:52 AM

Jnasty_69 said:

Insulating your motherboard would probably hold in more heat --- hooking up a separate fan(s) directly blowing across your MB heat-sinks and heat-pipes would better dissipate heat for 'enthusiast' over-clocking.

With AMD you will find a 'Volt Wall' where you struggle to increase the clock --- when increasing volts adds little speed and stability but only drives temps higher.

So in your tweaking you want to find your chips sweet spot considering speed, volts and temps. I suspect it will be in the 3.9GHz range with 1.4v or less for every-day use.

I suspect that Asus motherboard will allow you to save multiple various BIOS profiles -- use it! Save a default profile and then a 'puny' :lol:  stable over-clock BIOS profile at 250MHz. You can load these profiles when you have problems with over-tweaking.

You may also use AMD Over-Drive from within Windows to test run various voltage/clock speed scenarios. When you find one that looks promising you may reboot and enter/save profile in the BIOS.

m
l
!